BronxWorks helps individuals and families improve their economic and social well-being. From toddlers to seniors, we feed, shelter, teach, and support our neighbors to build a stronger community. In all aspects of our work, we strive for the highest ethical and performance standards and is guided by the belief that people are to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their present situation or past experiences.
BronxWorksis hiring (1) Youth Worker for the Cornerstone Program.
The Betances Community Center After School program seeks Youth Workers to supervise children; plan and implement literacy-based activities and clubs; set educational goals for children; provide homework help; create a nurturing environment; engage children in group games and sports; supervise junior counselors; and maintain student records. Candidates must have a High School Diploma/GED; experience working with children in an educational or recreational setting; and demonstrated writing ability. Must be at least 18 years old. Youth Workers work 8am – 6pm during the summer and 2pm to 6pm Monday – Friday in the school year.
- Assist Program Director or Program Coordinator with the development of program goals and activities for youth.
- Create a nurturing and supportive environment for the youth.
- Implement various recreational, educational, social, and team building activities.
- Provide classroom management and instruction.
- Act as a liaison with parents.
- Attend regular staff meetings.
- Attend First Aid, Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), and Responding to Emergency (RTE) training.
- Attend staff training sessions.
- Meet monthly with program coordinator and/or program director for supervision.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by manager.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One year experience working with youth in a recreational, educational and/or social environment.
- Clearance through New York State Central Registry and New York State Office of Children and Family Services required.
- Experience with or knowledge of best practices in youth development preferred.
- Experience with or knowledge of whole language philosophy preferred.
- Must be 18 years old.
- Strong oral and written communication, time management and organizational skills are necessary.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and other standard business technology is required.
- Ability to use a computer for prolonged periods.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to stand, walk, or sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to climb five flights of stairs, if required to conduct home visits and/or fieldwork.
- Ability to bend and retrieve objects and/or documents.
- Ability to travel in the boroughs of New York City and its adjacent counties via public transportation.
- Ability to travel for a minimum of 1 mile within a reasonable amount of time and in all types of weather, including inclement weather, if required to conduct home visits and/or field work.
‘TB Test required with the first 120 days of employment’ for Shelters and Homeless outreach"
BronxWorks offers a variety of benefits to full-time salaried employees as well as part-time salaried employees who work at least 20 hours per week year-round. Generous paid time off for personal, vacation, parental, and medical leave and a pension plan that is 100% employer paid.
We support all aspects of diversity, and in accordance with federal, state and local laws, does not discriminate unlawfully against employees and applicants for employment on the basis of age, color, creed, disability, marital status, military status, national origin (including ancestry), predisposing genetic characteristic, race, sex, gender, actual or perceived sexual orientation (including actual or perceived heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality and asexuality), status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law.