Founded in 1906, we are one of the oldest and largest non-profit child welfare agencies in Southern California and we continue to expand our services. Optimist Youth Homes & Family Services is in need of staff to work with at-risk youth and their families. More information about our history and mission can be found on our website at www.oyhfs.org.
OVERALL FUNCTION :
The Youth Care Counselor (YCC) provides supervision, care and protection of all STRTP residents. As a member of the treatment team, the YCC is an important agent in setting the tone and direction and helping to choose priorities for the group. The YCC helps to develop an atmosphere within the residential treatment where residents can learn to make appropriate choices, improve their judgment and increase the probability of meeting their treatment goals. A large part of the YCC’s role involves basic activities which most directly effect residents; their physical and emotional needs; social demands; training and limit setting. The position provides the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the youth and the larger community.
We offer a competitive benefits package:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Care Plan
- Life Insurance
- Paid Holidays (11)
- Paid Vacation Time
- 401(k) Retirement Plan (up to 4%)
- Educational Reimbursement
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Direct care staff shall meet one of the following requirements prior to employment: Have a Bachelor of Arts or Sciences Degree; or Have a valid Child Development Teaching Permit; or Have completed 12 semester units of Early Childhood Education, Adolescent Development, or Foster and Kinship Care Education and have at least 100 hours of experience working with youth; or Have a valid Vocational Training certificate, credential or documentation demonstrating that the individual is a trade journeyperson who instructs children in vocational skills and have at least 100 hours of experience working with youth; or Have previously been employed as a staff or volunteer at a group home or short-term residential therapeutic center for at least one year.
- Direct care staff shall be at least 21 years of age..
- Personal characteristics to be able to work effectively with the children in placement as well as adequate knowledge, skills and experience.
- Must be able to pass criminal/fingerprinting background check, TB Test, Physical Exam and Drug Testing. Must have and maintain a valid California Driver’s License and a clear DMV record for at least 5 years. Must have the visual, physical and technical ability to independently operate a variety of office equipment including the use of a computer. Will also require bending, stooping, filing, lifting of at least 50 lbs. or more and have the ability to successfully complete ProAct.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $15.00 – $16.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- working with at-risk youth: 1 year (Preferred)
- CA Driver's License (Required)
- One location
Company's Facebook page:
- Waiting period may apply
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place