EXPERIENCED ONLY!– Veterinary Assistant/Technician
Rapidly growing Bushwick veterinary house-call practice seeks full time qualified and experienced vet assistant/tech to join our team. We are a hands on team oriented practice that strives to give excellent client service , not only to our furry friends but also to their owners! We are looking for a mature and responsible candidate to join our team. Punctuality and a strong work ethic is key.
The ideal candidate would have the following qualifications:
- Gentle and compassionate animal handler, able to read animal’s body language and respond appropriately.
- Willingness to be instructed on new fear-free handling techniques
- Maintain composure during challenging conditions.
- Detail focus and be able to take direction well and consistently.
- Self motivated team player who is effective at oral communication.
- Desire to always want to be learning, to improve & develop skills and to advance your technical and medical knowledge.
- Positive attitude.
- Admit and discharge on the doctor’s orders especially being careful that the patient being discharged is in a medically appropriate state, i.e. alert, responsive.
- Answer clients questions on post surgical animal care and information on medical discharge sheets.
- Explain dosage /purpose of medications , reinforce the proper care and guidelines that need to be followed at home.
- Prepare patients for surgery, monitor patients during surgery, record respiratory rates, etc.
- Clean and ready surgical & prep rooms for ongoing surgeries.
- Properly clean, pack and autoclave all surgical instruments.
- Prepare for surgeries by setting up syringes & supplies and making sure drugs and equipment are ready & in place.
Other duties include but not limited to:
- Appropriate restraining/handling of all animals
- Handling lab samples.
- Fill prescriptions as directed by veterinarian and explain prescription directions.
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
- Maintain inventory of technical & medical supplies, medications and all other needed supplies.
- Assist veterinarian during exams by being proactive, alert and responsive.
- Adhere to procedures and protocols.
Please note that this position currently is assistant focused. We are expanding and will have the ability to train and advance the position to more technical duties (cleaning ears, injections, IV catheter placement, blood collection, etc) when we are more than just a one doctor practice.
If you feel you meet these qualifications please email your cover letter, resume, and 2-3 recent references to us.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.00 to $22.00 /hour
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- veterinary assistant: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)