- Develop and underwrite a profitable portfolio of High Value Homeowners business as part of the Property team.
- Structure tailor-made solutions by considering the team underwriting parameters and underwriting policy and using underwriting knowledge and experience to win new business and retain existing.
- Monitor premiums, costs and claims ratios per contract and take corrective measures if necessary to ensure long term profitability at account level.
- Evaluate appropriate risk premium by considering the risk costs, reinsurance cessions, capital exposure as well as the underwriting and general administration costs to ensure profitability, using rating models as applicable.
- Monitor peer underwriters in their daily work to ensure profitability as well as efficient and cost effective administration of the High Value Homeowners account.
- Monitor and supervise assistants in their daily work to ensure compliance with underwriting philosophy and policy and consistency within the team and Property.
- Comply with Beazley’s underwriting control standards for business written through Lloyd’s, Beazley Insurance Company Inc or Beazley’s internal MGAs.
- Develop a good working relationship with the claims managers on this class of business.
- Advise, assist and service clients on insurance and risk matters to ensure clients’ satisfaction.
- Foster positive relationships with clients to get a mutual understanding of both their and Beazley’s needs.
- Maintenance of good business relationships with brokers.
- Maintain awareness of overall Beazley product range and take advantages of opportunities to introduce other Beazley products to clients.
- Leverage networking opportunities within the business to develop standardised underwriting policy and best practice within Beazley.
- Develop best practice and disseminate business and class knowledge within the High Value Homeowners and Property team.
- Work with peers within High Value Homeowners and Property to maximise business opportunities and profitability within the department. This will include but not be limited to sharing market information, marketing sources and cross selling opportunities.
- Share and gather knowledge within the Beazley Group to ensure dissemination of best practice and maximise business opportunities and profitability across the Group.
- Production of presentations and marketing literature as required.
- Production of business plans/research documents for the High Value Homeowners account as required.
At Beazley we are committed to doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do. It is important that within all your interactions both internally and externally you adhere to this principle through adoption of Beazley’s core values and behaviours – PIED and Being Beazley.
- Adopt the Beazley culture of Professionalism, Integrity, Effectiveness and Dynamic that contributes to an internal environment of teamwork and promote a positive brand image and experience to our external customers.
- Comply with Beazley procedures, policies and regulations including the code of conduct. Undertake training on Beazley policies and procedures as delivered by your line manager, the Talent Management development or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) either directly, via e-learning or the learning management system.
- Display business ethics that uphold the interests of all our customers.
- Ensure all interactions with customers are focused on delivering a fair outcome, including having the right products for their needs.
- Comply with any specific responsibilities necessary for your role as outlined by your line manager, the Talent Management or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) and ensure you keep up to date with developments in these areas. This may include, amongst others, Beazley’s underwriting control standards, Beazley’s claims control standards, other Beazley standards and customer relationship management.
- Carry out additional responsibilities as individually notified, either through your objectives or through the learning management system. These may include membership of any Beazley committees or working groups.
Education and Qualifications
- Minimum graduate level education
Skills and Abilities
- Proficient underwriting skills
- Accurate and numerate
- Computer skills – good working knowledge of MS Office, advanced Excel skills
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
- Able to communicate effectively with others, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to manage time, meet deadlines and prioritise
- Motivational skills
- Good people management skills
Knowledge and Experience
- General commercial and financial knowledge
- Extensive experience in insurance industry
- Extensive experience of High Value Homeowners underwriting
- Thorough knowledge of underwriting policy, philosophy and practice
- Advanced knowledge of underwriting processes and systems
- Client service experience
Aptitude and Disposition
- Result focussed, self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic
- Professional approach to interact successfully with managers/ colleagues/ external suppliers
- Team worker as well as able to work on own initiative
- Customer focused, with a strong ethic of service and fairness to the customer
- Achievement drive
- Analytical thinking
- Strategic thinking
- Service focus
- Team working
- Forward thinking
- Developing people
- Conceptual thinking