As a Transporter you will transport patients to and from various hospital units, safely and comfortably. Pick up and deliver materials and/or equipment, as needed.
- Receives and carries out transport assignments. Coordinates selection of stretcher, bed or wheelchair with nursing staff.
- Transports patients and equipment to and from all locations within hospital in a timely manner
- Transports patients in beds, wheelchairs, stretchers, with oxygen, IVs, etc. Transports other patient related items such as medical equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Inspects transport equipment for cleanliness, operational ability and safety. Removes damaged equipment from use and notifies management.
- Inspects and wipes down equipment before and after each use with approved cleaning products
- Delivers pharmacy vouchers, laboratory specimens, patient belongings, medical records and admission records to appropriate areas within hospital.
- Assists medical staff in lifting and moving of patients to and from beds, to wheelchairs and stretchers, using proper body mechanics.
- Transfers post-mortem patients to morgue, as needed.
- Safely handles oxygen equipment, IV equipment and other medical equipment according to hospital policies and procedures. Distinguishes between types of compressed gases and valves changes.
- Performs rounds including picking up specimens, patient belongings, vouchers, charts, equipment, instrument and trays, as assigned.
- Delivers and returns equipment, instruments and trays to/from Central Processing and patient care areas.
- Delivers laboratory supplies to patient care areas.
- Delivers code carts to patient care areas and returns used code carts to Central Processing.
- Returns stretchers, wheelchairs and other department specific equipment to appropriate areas and secures appropriately.
- When a Pneumatic Tube system is down (North site only), transporter must perform the following: Voucher rounds every hour, routine rounds every two hours, stat medications delivery, delivery of medications to patient care areas, delivery of documents and materials to Admitting office from floors, and delivery of laboratory results to patient care areas.
- Follows hospital patient identification policy at all times.
- Performs related duties as required.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma, or equivalent, required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, required
- Prior hospital and/or transport experience, preferred.