Join our team! First American’s Direct division provides comprehensive title insurance protection and professional settlement services for real estate purchases, refinances and equity loans. As a global leader in providing title insurance, settlement services and risk solutions for real estate transactions, First American (NYSE: FAF) is an ideal place to build your career. We have been entrusted with helping our customers achieve and protect their dream of homeownership since 1889. We believe that our people are the key to the company’s continued success, and we invest in diverse talents and backgrounds and empower our teams to achieve more than they could anywhere else. First American has created an award-winning culture and has been named to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list for the fourth consecutive year and to more than 50 regional Best Places to Work lists. For more information, please visit www.careers.firstam.com
- Performs title examination to examines the chain of title for a wide range of title orders, both residential and commercial.
- Analyzes records, such as mortgages, liens, judgments, easements, vital statistics, plat and map books, and property surveys to determine ownership and legal restrictions and to verify legal description of property and completeness of records
- Analyzes the effect of probate, foreclosures, building court cases, and bankruptcy proceedings on title insurance. Examine trusts, wills, and affidavits of heirship.
- Uses technical bulletins and other resources to evaluate and resolve problems
- Review and approve a variety of documentation including deeds, operating agreements, trusts, wills, affidavits of heirships, corporate resolutions, partnership agreements, and state filed Articles of Incorporation and Articles of Organization
- Selects appropriate write-ups for commitments and policies for both standard and extended coverage
- May participate in business development activities to maintain existing clients and acquire new clients and may attend customer visits with sales personnel
- May price commitments, endorsements, policies and guarantees using predetermined schedule of fees and charges
- In some regions/locations, consult with attorneys to review search packages and on matters that require escalation
- May provide underwriting interpretation within established guidelines
- May request hold harmless letters from other title insurance companies; issue hold harmless letters as necessary
Knowledge and Skills/Technology Used
- Familiar with all aspects of title work
- Flexible with the ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment to handle all aspects of title support
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong detail orientation
- Able to meet deadlines under pressure
- High School diploma or equivalent
Typical Range of Experience
- 3-5 years title/ related real estate experience with at least 2 years examining title
First American invests in its employees’ development and well-being, empowers them to provide superior customer service and encourages them to serve the communities where they live and work. First American is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer. For more information about our Company and our dedication to putting People First, check out firstam.com/careers.