This position is offered a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, which includes:
Medical, dental, vision and more
Generous paid time off and holidays
Retirement plan with up to 5% matching
This position is full-time, exempt, unclassified and not covered under the Circuit Court Employee Handbook.
Hours vary; 37.5 hours
Under the direction of the Public Defender Board and subject to applicable statutory authority, the State Public Defender Commission requirements and the local Allen County Public Defender Ordinance, The Public Defender is responsible for the supervision and administration of all Public Defender employees and offices, including directing and evaluating personnel work performance and assigning duties and responsibilities.
- Supervises all Public Defender personnel including, but not limited to, assigning duties and responsibilities, reviewing and evaluating work performance, resolving conflicts and disciplining and/or terminating staff.
- Supervises and evaluates the work of attorneys.
- Receives and responds to inquires from the public concerning activities of the Public Defender’s office and its employees.
- Receives and responds to complaints from clients and makes decisions on resolution of complaints.
- Manages all attorney caseloads ensuring an even distribution of the workload and adherence to the Public Defender Commission guidelines.
- Assigns and resolves court scheduling issues and conflict assignments.
- Maintains liaison with court administration, judges and other court personnel.
- Interacts and communicates with Allen County Council, Allen County Board of Commissioners and State elected officials to represent the interests of the Allen County Public Defenders and the Public Defender Board. Coordinates with other Public Defenders and State Public Defender Commission on policy issues and activities.
- Undertakes related additional duties and assignments as required by the Public Defender Board.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.