The North Face, a VF Company
At The North Face we dare to lead the world forward through Exploration . We were born to Explore. We were born to Disrupt. We were born to Lead.
The North Face is the premier exploration company in the world. Founded in the counterculture of Berkeley, CA in 1966 we have a long and storied legacy of enabling exploration, loving and protecting wild places, and creating iconic and technically advanced product.
We believe that exploration is a mindset – both on the mountain and off the mountain – and it infuses everything we do. As a community of explorers, we stay curious about new ideas, places and people.
Love wild places
Dare to disrupt
Lead with integrity
By joining The North Face, you will help provide the best gear for our athletes and the modern-day explorer. You will also have the opportunity, tools and environment to more deeply explore the world around you and make meaningful, lasting connections.
What You Will Do
A Tech Developer-Fit Specialist at The North Face is responsible for driving the development, engineering, fit execution (construction if needed) and specifications for innovative, technologically advanced products of the highest level.
We build products that are coveted and trusted by our customers in a fun, fast paced environment. We are passionate, precise, team oriented engineers with a love of the outdoors and a commitment to sustainability.
How You Will Make A Difference
- Manages the development process of company product lines as assigned
- Plans and tracks the development schedule of all products to ensure a timely completion following the predetermined product development calendar
- Ensures both the technical superiority and the product quality/integrity of all products falling under their responsibilities
- Ensures execution of fit intent and fit consistency through clear analysis, documentation, communication, adherence to fit standards, and use of block patterns
- Identify fit intent, aesthetic and silhouette, create new blocks, leveraging existing blocks and the production styles
- Responsible for creating fit blocks to maintain consistency, monitoring factory utilization of blocks
- Leads fittings and modifies / communicates pattern changes to factories, provides measurement specifications, communicates any fit/potential production issues to cross-functional team members
- Compare factory patterns against blocks for fit consistency and adherence in Accumark and analyze grade to follow spec standards and adjust for style constraints
- Develops products that meet Design expectations and meet or exceed predetermined gross margin targets
- Partners with Design, Construction Specialist on new advanced concepts and ideas in addition to the commercialization of core product lines
- Interacts with Product Director, Product Manager, Design, Marketing, Sales, and Quality Assurance to distribute product technical details and assure the accuracy, legality, and integrity of all product performance claims
- Partners with Construction Specialists, Production Specialists, Material Sourcing and manufacturers to develop materials, construction techniques, processes, and samples used to create innovative and technically superior products each season
- Maintain block library spreadsheet, style revision log and distribute to business partners as appropriate
- Partner with Production Specialists to resolve any potential production issues
- Ensure that all incoming development and samples are accurately logged and tracked on a daily basis.
- Research current market fit trends and compare to our established fits and share findings with team
- Leads special projects, process, or calendar optimization
- Performs these and other duties as assigned
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, or Manufacturing, or Degree or Certification in Apparel Design, construction, and/or patternmaking, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 8+ years experience in Technical Design/Product Development in a medium or large size company, preferably in the outdoor industry
- Able to mentor technical developers in fit or develop a diverse and effective team through active coaching, motivation, and meaningful development plans
- Supervises fittings
- Able to independently manage highly complex product
- Demonstrates an advanced knowledge of fit, patternmaking, and construction expertise, and knowledge of manufacturing processes
- Demonstrates an advanced knowledge of product category, product materials, and product development lifecycle
- Demonstrates superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to create trust with cross functional teams
- Available for conflict escalation if needed
- Some overseas travel required
- Able to proactively troubleshoot and solve highly complex problems
- Demonstrates and coaches others on clear and accurate verbal and written communication
- Results-oriented and process driven, with high expectations of self and team
- Demonstrates superior organizational skills
- Computer skills: Adobe Illustrator, MS Office software, PLM experience, Gerber experience (or other patternmaking system)
- Skilled Mentor
- Deadline driven with a track record for delivering great results on time
- Ability to be flexible in a multi-task environment
NEVER STOP EXPLORING™
The North Face is a subsidiary of VF Corporation. At VF, we outfit consumers around the world with our diverse portfolio of lifestyle brands. Founded in 1899, VF is one of the world’s largest apparel, footwear and accessories companies with socially and environmentally responsible operations spanning numerous geographies, product categories and distribution channels. We are committed to delivering innovative products to consumers and creating long-term value for our customers and shareholders.
While our VF company and brands are diverse, we work together within a One VF culture to capitalize on our greatest opportunities for long-term performance. Across our company, a collaborative, global mindset differentiates our products and the unique experiences we provide to our consumers. It all adds up to a lasting competitive advantage built on harnessing the power of our differences to achieve great things together, all while positively impacting the lives of hundreds of millions of people and the world.
VF is committed to creating an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the differences among all of our associates, customers, suppliers and the communities in which we live and conduct business. The continued success and growth of VF is enhanced through initiatives that promote diversity throughout VF around the world.