POSITION TITLE: Teacher Assistant
Under the general direction of the Child Care Director, the Teacher Assistant works with the Lead Teacher to implement classroom curriculum and activities. May assume classroom leadership in the absence of the Lead Teacher. Provides a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring. The position may be responsible to serve as a liaison between the Child Care Director and families participating in the program.
- Assist the Child Care Teacher in maintaining the organization/appearance and décor of the assigned classroom (bulletin boards, displays, storage areas, general cleanliness, etc.).
- Assist the Child Care Teacher in implementing an age appropriate curriculum.
- Work with the different age groups and classes upon request.
- Assist the Child Care Teacher in maintaining healthy and safe classroom environment of children.
- Participate in Parent Advisory Committee and YMCA sponsored special events.
- Participate in staff meetings, training and workshops to enhance professional growth.
- Provide consistent interaction, encouragement, nurturance for all children on all levels (floors, sitting at tables, etc.)
- Assist in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Model relationship-building skills in all interactions. Assist in response to all parent inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Attend trainings and meetings in absence of Lead Teacher, and at other times as requested or appropriate.
- Perform other job-related duties as requested and necessary.
- High School Diploma
- One to two years related experience in a group setting with preschool children.
- Maintain training requirements as required by the Office of Licensing.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
- Experience in assisting with curriculum implementation and being a contributing team member is essential.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations. This work requires the following physical activities: bending, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, sitting, standing, walking, lifting, finger dexterity, grasping, repetitive motions, talking, hearing, and visual acuity. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Current active employees of the METROPOLITAN YMCA OF THE ORANGES should apply via the Careers section of the Dayforce Employee Account.
Professional development opportunities and complimentary use of YMCA facilities.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA/employer M/F/D/V. Employment is subject to extensive background check.