The primary responsibility of this position has good working relationships with physician’s offices that perform surgery at surgery center. Obtain all patient pertinent information and schedule the surgery. Follow through on all paperwork prior to the scheduled surgery. Greet customers as they enter the door in a pleasant manner. Keep patients and family in the waiting area informed. Provide a quiet and calm atmosphere. File any patient data that comes across.
- Schedules surgeries in surgery template in the computer, along with pertinent information.
- Handles call from physician’s office in regards to information on scheduling patients at the surgery center, scheduling surgeries or any calls associated with surgery scheduled.
- Answers phone in a pleasant manner and deals with physician offices and patient needs expeditiously. Takes messages and records in message book. Transfers calls to other departments.
- Does pre-registration and makes sure that authorization is obtained prior to surgery scheduled.
- Completes necessary paperwork for registration and uses computer system to generate information for surgical/special procedure.
- Set-up surgery center chart and files appropriate paperwork needed in chart.
- Assists with receptionist and registration responsibilities.
- Maintains various logs of daily activities including cancelled appointments, add-ons, for monthly tallies needed.
- Assists in maintaining office supplies and necessary forms and informs business manager when supplies are needed.
- Performs various clerical duties such as photocopying forms, report, patient information, mailing surveys, preparing patient charts, faxing forms and retrieving faxes.
- Filing of received faxes in appropriate areas, filing reports in patients chart.
- Maintains clean and orderly surgery scheduling area.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Provides assistance to team members, physicians, and anesthesia personnel as needed (I.e. reliability, initiative, work relations, training needs).
- Develop communication skills and promote departmental relationships to ensure continuity of care.
- Participates in on-going committee and other educational programs to enhance patient care.
- It is a position of responsibility and accountability, requiring people skills, problem solving and decision making skills, and can be hectic and stressful.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Physical and mental requirements, key boarding experience and knowledge of receptionist task, surgical paperwork and policy and procedures of facility. Employee must be able to use office equipment including phones, computer, fax, copier and credit card machines. Employee must have knowledge of customer service concepts and technique. Must have the ability to prioritize and organize multiple tasks effectively. Must have the ability to communicate clearly in person and by phone and establish and maintain cooperative relationships with patients, family, staff, physicians, and others. Ability to read, understand and follow oral/written instructions. Employee must have the ability to file correctly by alphabetic and numeric system. Have no restrictions on sitting for long periods of time 7-8 hours daily. Employee must be able to view computer screen for long periods. Employee must have the ability to do multi-tasking. Occasional stress related workload, customer and physical problems. Must present a professional image.
The surgery scheduler should have a high school diploma or GED. Minimum three years’ experience in health care and minimum of one year experience in surgery scheduling procedures preferred. The successful candidate must have the ability to work independently as well as function within a team; have basic knowledge of surgery scheduling, receptionist and registration responsibilities; and must possess the ability to handle stress.
Job Type: Full-time