Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
Provide leadership and supervision to distribution team members within a specific functional area and/or process. Support Process Manager and/or Sr. Operations Manager to ensure timely, accurate product receipt, order fulfillment, and the optimization of resources and processes. Manage team members to ensure compliance with policies/procedures, process improvement, and drive team member initiatives to create and promote an environment where team members are engaged and committed to the success of the Company thereby negating the need for third party representation.
This position works Monday thorugh Friday and will work a shift between the hours of operation between 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervise the daily operations in the functional area and lead team members until the work is complete for the day.
- Maintain, refine and/or improve processes within the area to meet customer requirements which include deadlines and quality standards.
- Manage day to day scheduling, staffing, material management, compliance, training and auditing activities.
- Provide a positive and engaging working environment focusing on the DC metrics including housekeeping standards are developed into daily processes.
- Emphasize safety and quality commitments for the department and ensure 100% compliance with the department’s processes and procedures.
- Have in depth understanding of the department’s DC processes and functions. Identify key variables that influence the workflow process and develop and implement departmental changes enhancing workflow optimization.
- Develop and implement performance measurements and internal auditing processes to routinely evaluate operations efficiency and quality.
- Ensure compliance with Company, OSHA, DOT, EPA regulations with emphasis on HazMat, and PIE requirements. Certify the handling/shipping of hazardous materials are in compliance with government regulations and Grainger policies.
- Verify appropriate training for team members within the department, (Including, not limited to: PIE, HazMat, BCG, EHS).
Preferred Education & Experience
MUST BE ABLE TO WORK A FLEXIBLE SCHEDULE DEPENDING ON BUSINESS NEEDS.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent preferred
- 2-5 years previous leadership or supervisor experience in high-volume, multi-shift, order fulfillment distribution center preferred
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive employee relations.
- Strong interpersonal skills are needed to supervise non-exempt team members.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to interface well with other departments and lead effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems related to distribution, quality, cycle time and key metrics.
- Ability to analyze data to determine paths for process improvement and determine root cause.
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral with the ability to communicate effectively both vertical and horizontal within the organization.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision making skills and drive results.
- Ability to operate on tight deadlines with multiple priorities subject to change.
- Demonstrated competence in the Microsoft Suite, SAP and warehouse management systems.
- Work conditions typical of distribution center
- Ability to lift materail greater than 60lbs. may be necessary
- Must be able to interface with a multi-shift operation with extended hours of operation. 85% time on warehouse environment which may include in the actual flow when needed, 15% office, training, customer contact.