Job Title: Supplier Quality Engineer
Job ID: AS20211301-55039
Location: Batavia, Ohio
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
About L3Harris Technologies:
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
The Supplier Quality Engineer has overall responsibility for assuring products and services procured from suppliers meet or exceed the quality requirements of L3Harris and our customers. The Supplier Quality Engineer leads discussions with suppliers regarding AQP, Change Management, FAI’s, CAR’s / NC’s / 8D’s, Certificates of Compliance, Receiving Inspection requirements, Quality Assurance Provisions (understanding and adherence), Supplier process / quality system audits, and continuous improvement activities. The Supplier Quality Engineer must interface with the L3 Harris Purchasing, Process Quality Engineers, and Program team members to ensure communication and alignment in regard to Supplier topics while ensuring compliance with the L3 Harris values, code of conduct, policies, government laws / regulations, and safety procedures.
- Proficiency in quality analysis techniques such as statistical analysis, problem solving, process mapping, error proofing, trouble shooting, corrective action process, and continuous improvement.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that is cooperative and supportive of customers, co-workers, and managers.
- Performing supplier process audits, and quality systems audits.
- Strong oral and written communication skill as well as organization skills are required.
- Ability to perform in a cross-functional team environment.
The Supplier Quality Engineer shall be proficient in the use of the following:
- AS9100, ISO9001, or other Quality/Business Management Systems (QMS/BMS)
- Supplier management including change management, reduction of receiving inspection through verifications of process controls at supplier, and conformance to material certification requirements.
- PPAP/APQP/MRL, process flow diagram, design/process FMEA, control plan, measurement system analysis (MSA)
- Design and Analysis of Experiments
- Data collection and analysis methodologies
- Use of probability & statistics to evaluate, understand, and form conclusions
- Process/Performance capability and Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Acceptance Sampling (sampling concepts, sampling standards & plans, sampling integrity)
- GD&T and mechanical design principles
- Lean Tools (5S, Value Stream Mapping, Kanban, Visual Control, Waste, Standardized Work, Takt Time)
- Quality Control Tools (flow charts, pareto charts, cause & effect diagrams, control charts, check sheets, scatter diagrams, histograms)
- Continuous improvement methodologies (Total Quality Management (TQM), Kaizen, Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA), Six Sigma, Theory of Constraints (TOC))
- AS9102 first article inspection reports, inspection planning, and certification/test report review
- Material control (identification, traceability) and nonconformance process (segregation, identification, evaluation, disposition)
- Root cause and corrective/preventative actions (8D methodology)
- Material validation and testing equipment and testing methodologies
- Working knowledge of various manufacturing processes (plating, stamping, machining, casting, forming, injection molding, die cutting, welding, plating, testing, etc.) and product commodities (custom-metal products, custom-polymer products, fasteners, packaging, electronic components, wiring/cable assemblies, connectors, energetics, adhesives, paint, lubricants, gaskets, etc.)
- The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. Other specific duties, responsibilities and qualifications may be required of employees assigned to this position.
Qualifications: (refer to Career Framework)
- At a minimum, the candidate shall possess a Bachelor of Science degree, 5 – 8 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment, and 5 -8 years’ experience working with Suppliers.
- Minimum education and years of experience requirements are not to be used exclusive of other leveling factors. Substitution of additional relevant education and experience for stated qualifications may be considered.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Strong verbal and written communication skill for communicating data, status, concepts, and conclusions to customers and colleagues at all levels within the company
- Ability to obtain support and influence internal, customer, and supplier personnel at all levels of their various organizations to successfully execute activities and complete projects
- Proficiency in data analysis through the collection and organization of data to understand trends and make business-impacting decisions
- Proven capability in risk management, risk-based decision making, and creating problem solving
- Strong leadership and organizational skills to obtain buy-in from internal and external parties, manage complex situations, set priorities, and manage activities to accomplish objectives
- Ability to quickly learn new systems, processes, internal/external parties, and business dynamics and apply learnings to positively contribute to business execution.
- Ability to quickly learn new software skills which can be applied to learning ERP, Quality Management, and other software. Must have high-level competency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and data analysis software.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.