Seeking a full time Substance Abuse Counselor to provide counseling and guidance to patients and family members to assist them in understanding and coping with substance dependence issues. Duties include performing assessments of patient needs, motivations and backgrounds; developing treatment plans; conducting group counseling sessions and/or substance abuse education classes; and performing individual counseling under close supervision. Work is performed under the supervision of a licensed Clinical Supervisor and is reviewed through observation, review of documentation and service delivery, conferences, and reports. This position is accountable to the Program Director, Executive Director, and Executive Program Manager.
- Provides individual counseling to patients and family members to assist them in recognizing problems related to substance abuse and in developing alternative behaviors.
- Facilitates substance abuse group counseling sessions to assist patients in recognizing causal factors of substance abuse and in developing coping behaviors.
- Develops, revises and implements treatment plans in cooperation with patients to assist them in remaining substance free and in coping with social, marital, legal, and/or employment problems.
- Conducts substance abuse assessments and writes assessment summaries.
- Conducts substance abuse education classes.
- Conducts quarterly reviews of patient progress and documentation (i.e. treatment plans).
- Confers with patients, family members and others to gather information which may be of value to the treatment team; explains the program methods and objectives and obtains their cooperation in the treatment/rehabilitation process.
- Participates in case conferences with other members of the treatment team to provide input in developing a treatment plan and to make recommendations on its implementation.
- Performs follow-up activities for outpatients or continuing care patients in obtaining services such as support group counseling, halfway house counseling, vocational training, etc.
- Develops patient progress reports and evaluations according to program requirements.
- Completes patient-related documentation (such as progress notes, case notes, summaries, and other associated forms for record keeping) in a timely manner and within corporate guidelines.
- Attends and participates in on-the-job training, workshops and seminars.
- Participates in supervision to enhance clinical skills.
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree with CSAC, or National Certification or Masters Degree from an accredited college or university in substance abuse, psychology, sociology, social work, rehabilitation, criminal justice or closely related areas.
- Prefer Certified Substance Abuse Certification or national certification
- Experience working with substance dependence population, preference given to persons with Medication Assisted treatment experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Addiction Medicine
- Day shift
- Bachelor's (Required)
- Clinical counseling: 1 year (Preferred)
- English (Required)
- One location
- Waiting period may apply