Location: Jefferson City High School
School Year: 2021-2022
Bachelor degree and Missouri Teacher’s Certification in Physical Education.
Strength training certification is desired.
To develop in each student an understanding of the relationship of good body function and exercise; to motivate each pupil to cultivate physical fitness, hygienic habits, and good social and emotional adjustment; to discover and develop talents of students in physical achievement; to develop strength, skill, agility, poise, and coordination in individual, dual, and team physical activities and sports, in accordance with each student’s ability.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Teaches knowledge and skills in physical fitness and health education while utilizing course of study adopted by the Board of Education and other appropriate leaning activities.
- Works cooperatively with other physical education teachers in planning a balanced physical education program.
- Works with the head coaches to design training programs that revolve around strength, conditioning and weight training geared toward specific sports. They must account for procedures and regulations over their athletic department’s governing body and use training programs not just to maximize athlete performance but also to minimize injury.
- Maintain detailed, accurate and updated athlete records in order to track athlete progress. They communicate this information with coaches and use athlete data in order to assess training programs for effectiveness.
- Provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student, to the extent feasible.
- Provides appropriate safety instruction and makes safety checks on equipment and field areas to ensure the overall safety of students.
- Maintains control of storage and use of school-owned property.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive environment in the physical education areas.
- Evaluates each student’s growth in physical skills, knowledge, and participation
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education provided by the district, and in self-selected professional growth activities.
- Selects and requisitions, equipment and instructional aides and maintains required inventory records.
- Communicates with parents and school counselors on student progress.
- Identifies student needs, and cooperates with other professional staff members in helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Supervises students in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day.
- Facilitates before/after school Strengths & Conditioning program with the same expectations outlined for daily classes.
- Other Coaching duties as may be assigned by the administrator.
Supervises students at all times.
Skills and Abilities
Must have the ability to read, analyze and interpret professional journals, board policy, administrative procedures/forms, and government regulations and guidelines. Must be able to complete forms, write reports, and engage in written correspondence with parents. Must have the ability to write clearly and complete lesson plans.
The individual must have the ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference; and apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Must have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Must be able to apply knowledge of current educational theory and instructional techniques while presenting subject matter to students.
The individual must understand basic computer functions such as word processing and internet use. Will be using district software for recording grades and finding student information.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The individual who holds this position must have the ability to speak and hear in an environment where numerous conversations and activities may be taking place simultaneously; must be able to move around the classroom/gymnasium; must be able to read handwritten and printed materials.
Consistent and regular attendance is an essential job function of this position.
Conditions and Environment
The work conditions and environment described here are representative of those that an individual will encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The individual who holds this position will regularly work in a school environment that is noisy and active. Frequently the individual will be required to work outdoors for extended periods of time to supervise class sport activities.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board
Policy on Evaluation of Certified Staff.
315 E Dunklin Street
Jefferson City MO 65101
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATION
Applicants for admission or employment, students, parents of elementary and secondary school students, employees, sources of referral and applicants for employment, and all professional organizations that have entered into agreements with our School District are hereby notified that our School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs and activities.