Job Success Profile
Strategic Marketing Manager Water
Buckman is a privately held, global specialty chemical company with headquarters in Memphis, TN, USA, committed to safeguarding the environment, maintaining safety in the workplace, and promoting sustainable development. Buckman delivers exceptional service and innovative solutions to our customers globally in the pulp and paper, leather, and water treatment sectors to help boost productivity, reduce risk, improve product quality, and provide a measurable return on investment. Buckman is in the middle of a digital transformation of its businesses and focused on building the capabilities and tools in support of this.
We are looking for an experienced marketing manager for Water team at our Memphis facility. You will report to the Business Unit Leader for Water and will be responsible for the marketing of water treatment solutions to our customers in the Power, CPI, Steel, and middle market sectors. Job scope and responsibilities include all aspects of marketing including developing and championing innovative product concepts to address articulated and unarticulated needs of customers, developing and refining value propositions through voice of customer and business, shepherding a project through the stage and gate process, and being responsible for all aspects of product and business development. The solutions and offerings can include chemical, digital, equipment or service innovations. The job will have a global scope and will require extensive collaboration with a diverse set of global stakeholders including R&D, sales, Supply chain, marketing, and digital teams. You may have a small team of marketers reporting to you, but this role is more about a startup-like mission: if the number of reports is an important criterion, this role is probably not for you. If, on the other hand, you like working for an entrepreneurial company with a Sustainability mission and digital ambitions at the core of its strategy, to accomplish great things in a fun environment, Buckman is the place for you.
Competencies Needed for Success
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or related field.
- 7+ years of experience with Product and Innovation marketing in the B2B context with a demonstrated track record of working with cross-functional teams to take technologies to market successfully from concept to commercialization
- Familiarity with the Stage and Gate process and experience with all aspects of product commercialization including developing the voice of customer, developing and validating a value proposition, 4 P’s, and commercial launch.
- A very good background in the digital tool sets including IoT, and data analytics
- Some experience with digital transformation initiatives
- A MBA degree from a reputed university
- Experience in the specialty chemicals sector, especially in industrial water treatment area with a service enabled value delivery model
- 10+ years of experience in the Product and Innovation marketing area
- Strong communications skills across all levels of the organization
- Experience working with global stakeholders
- Background working in a start-up environment
Preferred Work Style
- A strategic thinker who is good at connecting the dots and seeing around the bend
- Has a pleasant personality who inspires trust and collaboration
- Energetic and passionate advocate of ideas who is also willing to put in the hard work to see projects to completion
- Aims high and brings a sense of urgency and ownership to all tasks
- Strong planning and organization skills, and ability to manage complex projects
- A life-long learner who constantly updates skills