- On-Site sales: promote sales, answer questions, ring up sales using point-of-sales system. Provide customer service and relay special customer and vendor issues to the Store Manager or Retail Director as appropriate.Assure that store merchandise is attractively displayed and well stocked. Assure that the store appearance is neat and orderly. This includes maintaining supplies, dusting and sweeping, and alerting Manager or Director when supplies are needed. Reconcile cash drawer at the end of the day.
- Mail and Web Order sales: Answer and process phone, mail, and web site orders. Pull, pack, and ship orders. Update customer databases when necessary.
- Assist in the Receipt of New Merchandise: Unpack, receive (compare invoices to purchase orders) and prepare merchandise for display and sale in the Store.
- Promote memberships, gift certificate sales and other special Development sales: Handle membership applications. For other donations, introduce customer to appropriate Development staff person.
- Public Programs & Special Events: As requested, assist with sales at programs events, such as member receptions, book signings, special Museum events, etc.
- Office Administration: Light office duties; data entry, making copies, filing, typing, etc…
- Other duties: Interact with and motivate department volunteers. Be familiar with current exhibitions and programs at the National Museum. Participate in annual inventory.
- 8. Staff members must be able to work with visitors of all ages to support the various events sponsored by the National Museum. Each staff member will be expected to work on a minimum of three museum-wide events per year: a) National Museum’s Gala Dinner & Silent Auction – (off-site) typically held in the Spring (April-May) b) National Museum’s Family Festival Day- Oshogatsu Festival (January) c) National Museum’s Family Festival Day- Natsumatsuri Festival (August) d) Store staff is required to be available for Black Friday weekend.
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. Incumbent will perform related duties as assigned.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: High School Diploma, Bachelors degree preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience/Knowledge: At least six months of customer service experience in a retail environment. Telephone skills for taking customer catalog phone orders and answering general inquiries. Professional phone manner is essential. Adept with handling cash and processing sales. Ability to handle and pack merchandise (some heavy lifting may be required). Prior non-profit experience and working with volunteers beneficial. Willingness to learn and apply new skills. Ability to multi-task and prioritize. Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines. Excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented. Strong proofreading skills. Ability to work in a fast paced team-environment, be a self-starter. Demonstrate commitment and flexibility at all times in order to ensure high quality service. Ability to adjust and provide appropriate action when unanticipated need arises. Knowledge of Japanese American history and culture a plus. Weekend and some evening hours required.
Communication: Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Must be able to provide courteous and effective service to co-workers, volunteers and the general public. Ability to read and comprehend documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group format.
Computer: Computer literate, Internet savvy, and experience with MS Word, Excel, and Power Point preferred, speed and accuracy are essential. Knowledge of Retail Star preferred and Altru database and Gmail and Shoparoo beneficial.
Math: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning: Act on own initiative. Must be able to comply with institutional policies and procedures. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Perform successfully when juggling and re-prioritizing multiple assignments in a fast-paced, changing work environment. Reliable follow-through on assigned projects in a complete, well conceived and timely manner.
Physical: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Reports to: Store Operations Manager or Director of Retail Enterprises
Positions supervised: None
The Japanese American National Museum reserves the discretion to change this job description at any time.The Japanese American National Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.