Job Title: Staff Accountant
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Controller
Directs and coordinates credit investigations and the collection of delinquent accounts of customers. Directs and coordinates activities of department managers in order to accurately pay associates. Prepares and presents trainings as needed in areas determined by analysis of procedures and practices. Develops and implements updated policies and procedures to facilitate operation of the Accounting department
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Investigates and verifies financial status and reputation of prospective customers applying for credit, preparing documents to substantiate findings, and recommending rejection or approval of applications.
- Establishes credit limitations on customer account.
- Investigates fraud cases and possible legal action and collection for delinquent bills.
- Reviews collection reports to ascertain status of collections and balances outstanding and to evaluate effectiveness of current collection policies and procedures.
- Audits delinquent accounts considered to be uncollectible to ensure maximum efforts have been taken before assigning bad debt status to account.
- Coordinates with others, including Department Managers and credit card companies, to exchange information and update controls.
- Submits delinquent accounts to attorney or outside agency for collection.
- Compiles and analyzes statistical data on fraudulent use of credit cards to develop procedures designed to deter or prevent use of cards.
- Analyzes reports to identify areas of vulnerability; prepare and conduct trainings for associates accordingly
- Assists in monthly closings.
- Compiles payroll data such as hours worked, gratuities, bonuses, taxes, insurance, and employee identification number, from time sheets and other records.
- Prepares computer input forms, enters data into computer files, or computes wages and deductions and posts to payroll records.
- Prepares the labor report and distributes to Department Managers for approval.
- Reviews and inputs revised payroll data into the computer system.
- Reviews wages computed with knowledge of Federal and State laws and corrects errors to ensure accuracy of payroll.
- Prorates expenses to be debited or credited to each department for cost accounting records.
- Processes all Wage Garnishments as required by law.
- Prepares periodic reports of earnings, taxes, and deductions.
- Keeps records of leave pay and nontaxable wages.
- Prepares all final paychecks to ensure all terminated employees are paid properly and within Federal and State laws.
- Creates payroll reports, business correspondences and memos as requested by the Controller.
- Analyzes and updates company policies regarding the payroll in order to facilitate the semi-monthly process.
- Investigate and implement changes to the Kronos system to facilitate semi-monthly payroll process.
- Completes all authorized financial employment verification inquires either verbally or in writing.
- Open and verify cash drops from outlets and Front Desk
- Audit banks as per schedule
- Prepare paperwork for bank deposits
- Prepare and distribute various reports to Restaurant, Front Desk and Accounting managers
- All other duties as assigned by the supervisor.QUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The ability to effectively deal with customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to diffuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
- Able to write reports, business correspondence and memos.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to read, listen and communicate effectively in English.
- Ability to effectively communicate to groups of people.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to apply knowledge of State & Federal laws to the preparation of payroll records.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as interest, commissions proportions, percentages and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Able to create Accounts Receivable reports from a moderately complex computer system.
- Meets legal age requirements for the positionEDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with Kronos or similar payroll system highly preferred.