About the Company
J.M. Longyear, LLC with headquarters in Marquette, MI, is a privately held, asset manager with a 145-year track record of growing long-term value. We operate across a spectrum of markets including forestry and land management, real estate, hardwood products and manufacturing. As one of the largest forest land owners in the Great Lakes region, we are a leader in forest management and sustainable timber harvesting.
Reports to: Controller
We have an opening for a Staff Accountant position based out of our Northern Hardwoods Lumber facility in Houghton, Michigan. The Staff Accountant assists the Controller in all areas of accounting including inventory management, account reconciliations, general ledger maintenance, financial statements, fixed asset schedules, budgeting and audits. Duties include:
- Manage inventory accounting and reporting, including goods receipts, production, shipments, counts, and valuations.
- Account reconciliations and general ledger maintenance.
- Preparation of financial statements and related analysis.
- Maintain accuracy of general ledger, financial statements, journal entries.
- Maintain fixed asset schedules.
- Analyze and report on key metrics.
- Assist Controller and CFO with complex and routine financial support activities, including year-end audit, budgets, and cost reports.
- Assist in developing and implementing accounting policies and procedures.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field
- 0 – 5 Years of Experience
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, including intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Prior accounting experience in a manufacturing setting helpful
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and work with many different people
- Strong communication skills, as you will be communicating with internal and external contacts
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience; and benefits package includes:
- Life and ST disability
- Paid Time Off
- Sick Time