Are you passionate about understanding and empathizing with people? Are you driven to marry qualitative and quantitative research practices to improve the user experience? Are you the type of person who loves to learn, and apply innovation to what you do? Are you motivated to develop new methods for understanding the experience of customers? Are you curious and excited about delivering AI in a deeply human centric way? Does the idea of delivering AI powered experiences into Office in a deeply human centric way excite you?
If yes, we may just be the team for you! The Office Planning and Research team is seeking a strong User Researcher to join our multi-disciplinary team of over 25 user researchers and planners. In this role, you’ll leverage your skills in quantitative methods, qualitative research practice, and HCI to improve the user experience. We’re looking for someone who wants to do a mix of qualitative and quantitative work to drive the right perspective about our users and engage with stakeholders to impact product decisions. You’ll work closely with UX Designers, other user researchers, data science, and engineering teams to ensure that we’re addressing user needs and opportunities.
Our team’s mission is to impact the value people find in Office, and how they feel using it, by driving customer-informed decisions. We work in partnership with product and program managers, designers, engineers, and developers – transforming the experience for our users while being careful stewards of a successful business.
Our team is dedicated to creating an inclusive culture for the most diverse and talented group of employees. We’re looking for someone who wants to learn, grown, and embody new ways of working. If you embrace growth mindset, have a track record of delivering results, and you light up collaborating with other researchers, designers, product managers and engineers this is an awesome team to join.
- Define and measure UX approaches, metrics, and work with core stakeholders on experimentation planning. Innovate and develop new approaches to measure user’s experiences.
- Derive insights from quantitative and qualitative data, complementing other research that you will conduct on your own or in partnership with other researchers.
- Build and execute impactful research plan(s) that provide the broad market views and deep customer insights needed to impact Office AI strategy and UX
- Continuously inform an engineering roadmap using customer data (qualitative and quantitative). Key to this accountability will be identifying gaps and customer pain points, as well as potential customer delighters.
- Land impact broadly from your customer-focused knowledge by working across multiple organizations and their respective engineering, design and marketing teams.
What does it take?
Balance business motivations and end-user value
- You are eager to learn and understand our customer audiences, their behaviors, context(s) and motivations – across all phases of the customer lifecycle and user journey
- Can demonstrate strong empathy for the users while balancing the vision and constraints of stakeholders
Desire to work in-stride with other people: PMs, developers, designers, other researchers, marketers
- Really, you must love this part of the job. The lines between this role and others are often unclear and you must be comfortable with contributing, engaging others despite the ambiguity
- Be ready to win together. This team has intentionally designed a structure where we work together.
Entrepreneurial spirit with dirty hands
- You will need practical and real-world problem-solving skills, as this team moves fast, and your role will be to help unblock barriers in design, build and go-to-market
- 4+ years of hands-on research and/or product planning experience, with demonstrated skill in collecting and analyzing human behavioral data to improve plans and UX in a technology industry setting
- Either an MA/MS in computer science, statistics, human factors, psychology, market research or related field, or a BA/BS in one of these fields with significant industry experience
- Desirable: experience in a programming language commonly used for data manipulation and computational statistics such as Python, R, Matlab, C++, Java or Go), and in SQL
Note: Your experiences and your demonstrated skill-sets are far more important than your level. If you are interested, feel free to apply regardless of your level.
If the above sounds like you, we can’t wait to talk to you!
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.