If you’re passionate about becoming a Nationwide associate and believe you have the potential to be something great, let’s talk.
Number 57 on the Fortune Magazine 100 Best Places to Work.
Compensation grade F4
Job Description Summary
JOB SUMMARY: With full competency, devises or modifies procedures to solve complex problems considering computer equipment capacity and limitations, operating time, and form of desired results. Designs, codes, tests, debugs, and documents those programs. Competent to work at the highest technical level of all phases of applications programming activities.
To support the continued growth of innovative products and solutions at Nationwide, Application Developer roles are being opened with a focus on providing Technical Excellence in the disciplines and technologies best described as, the full stack of software engineering.
The focus of the team will be working with the Technology Innovation team at Nationwide to bring innovative ideas to life. The Technology Innovation portfolio focuses on business models and opportunities that are enabled at the convergence of emerging technologies in the next 2-5 years. Current technology priorities include Blockchain, Augmented and Virtual Reality, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence. The team will focus on learnings as they help develop across a spectrum of pre-production phases from prototype to proof-of-concept to in-market test to pre-production applications. Where concepts find a product-market fit for our business or the industry as a whole, this role will play a key role in transitioning the technical assets created to the more traditional plan-build-run delivery models at Nationwide.
Sought out candidates will have a track record of using proven and emerging technologies together to enable businesses to do things that simply were not possible before. The engineers who have a passion for making a difference, driving technology-enabled business innovation, learning and applying emerging technologies and software development frameworks and platforms will find this role a fit.
1. Develops cost-effective information technology solutions by creating new and modifying existing software applications that are more complex with full competency.
2. Analyzes and validates complex system requirements and existing business processes and information systems. Designs, develops and implements new programs and/or modifications of existing applications. Responsible for the more complex designs, prototypes and other methodologies for new and/or existing systems including the development and implementation of test plans and program specifications with various interfaces.
3. Designs, codes, tests, debugs, and documents and implements complex software applications according to standards.
4. Defines and develops specifications and programs complex technical modules, applications, prototypes and computer programs.
5. Assists in leading all aspects of applications programming and development including file design, update, storage and retrieval.
6. Evaluates and provides technical solutions to complex application development problems.
7. May coordinate activities of a project team and assist in monitoring project schedules and costs.
8. May act as a technical programming consultant for small-scale projects that include multiple product lines and various interfaces.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate studies in computer science, management information systems, mathematics or related field is preferred.
Experience: Six years of experience in programming and systems analysis. Project management experience is preferred.
Knowledge: Must have proven knowledge in computer programming language. Must have a thorough understanding in systems and data processing policies, practices and procedures. Must have a thorough understanding in systems analysis and design techniques. Must have extensive knowledge of the systems development life cycle. Understanding of project management concepts and techniques required.
Skills/Competencies: Must have the ability to analyze complex applications and systems. Must be able to program complex systems requiring minimal interfaces. Must possess problem-solving skills to determine the programming effects on existing systems. Must have strong decision-making skills for problem identification and solution recommendation. Must have written and oral communication skills to prepare and communicate programming plans and procedures as well as to interact with all levels within the company.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the: Director and HR Officer
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Associates may have on-call responsibility after normal working hours and/or on weekends.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit Check: Not Applicable
Safety Sensitive (SS): Not Applicable
Job Evaluation Activity: Evaluated: MDK (12-22-03)