The Walker Beacon School, a coeducational therapeutic middle and high school program for students with mental health, social, and emotional challenges seeks a Teacher for their Watertown campus. Under the direction of the Principal, the Teacher will develop and implement course curricula. Qualified candidates will possess a Bachelor's degree with certification in Moderate Special Needs, 5-12.
Essential functions for this position include:
- Develop and implement course curricula particular to assigned areas of teaching.
- Develop formative and summative assessments, and provide evaluative feedback, for each student in every class.
- Provide consultation to other teachers who have learning disabled students in their classes.
- Maintain attendance records for each class or session; posting the attendance daily.
- Maintain grade records for each class.
- Share in finding and ordering of new curriculum materials.
- Create a safe environment by incorporating therapeutic supports into the classroom, and enforcing all school rules and guidelines.
- Attend scheduled meetings, professional development trainings as schedule or assigned.
- Complete and submit course outlines and unit plans for each course.
- Participate in fulfilling administrative tasks for special education students, such as Progress Reports and Individual Educational Plans.
- Meet weekly with the Educational Director for supervision.
- Document critical incidents, as needed.
- Act as Academic Advisor/Homeroom Teacher to a selected students.
- Share information on student progress with other members of the Beacon staff, including clinicians, guidance counselors, the nurse and administrators.
- Participate in the milieu, including leading activities, advising clubs, monitoring the Commons and other student areas.
- Provide academic support to assigned students.
- Communicate regularly with students and families about progress and/or concerns.
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree with certification in Moderate Special Needs, 5-12 and a minimum of one year direct teaching experience preferably in a similar setting.