IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve nearly 53,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Houston (2020), Permian Basin (2020), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
About the Rio Grande Valley:
The Special Education Co-Teacher position is ideal for a candidate looking to gain valuable experience in Special Education teaching. This position is also ideal for a candidate who has at least 48 college hours, wants challenging work, and the opportunity to advance in his or her education career.
Special Education RISE Co-Teacher:
RISE stands for Reaching Independence through Student Education. IDEA Special Education RISE Co-Teachers work with students with significant cognitive and/or pervasive developmental disabilities. The needs of these students require a functional curriculum focused on the acquisition of daily living and vocational skills leading to a successful transition to adult life within the community. These K-12 classrooms provide instruction in practical academics, communication, community, domestic, leisure/recreation, and vocational skills utilizing a functional curriculum in a general education school building. The classrooms emphasize communication, maximum independence, and opportunities to generalize skills in natural settings as well as participation in general education activities with typical peers. IDEA Special Education RISE Co-Teachers support the Special Education-RISE classroom in the Academy (K-5) or College Prep (6-12) as they work with high-needs students in lower student-teacher ratios (often 1 to 3) to support their academic needs.
- Assist in the educational and social development of students under the direction and guidance of the facilitator and classroom teachers
- Assist in the implementation of Individual Education Plans for the students and monitor their progress
- Provide support for individual students inside and outside of the classroom to enable them to fully participate in activities
- Work with other professionals, such as speech therapist, social worker, occupational and physical therapists
- Assist classroom teachers with maintaining student records
- Support students with emotional or behavior concerns and assist them in developing appropriate social skills
- Assistance of daily living may include feeding, lifting and/or toileting in the Life Skills Unit
- At some campuses, school bus riding to accompany students may be needed before or after school
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- High School Diploma
- Must have 48 college hours
- Experience in a classroom setting is preferred
- Proven track record of success in a professional setting
Knowledge and Skills:
- Capable of physically assisting students with special needs as required (positioning, lifting, transferring, restraining) in the Life Skills Unit
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate ranging between $14.11 for 0 years of experience and $19.45
- Hourly co-teachers earnings are paid out over a 12-month period