Southern Hills Plantation Club is currently seeking a Sous Chef to join our culinary team.
A Sous Chef is the second in command in any kitchen. The Sous Chef serves as the executive chef?s direct assistant. The Sous Chef works in conjunction with the Executive Chef to coordinate daily shift management to ensure client satisfaction and retention for the Company. The Sous Chef will implement business practices in order to uphold Company mission and values, contributing to account revenue and operating profit contribution through the implementation of services and creation of opportunities for growth. When the executive chef is off duty, the Sous Chef is in charge and oversees the preparation and service of food. When required to, the Sous Chef also fills in for and/or assists the line cooks to ensure that the kitchen runs smoothly.
Duties and responsibilities
- Maintains and develops client relationships and client satisfaction for food preparation at one station of a food service operation (ie. salads, soups)
- Accountable for the execution of service quality by maintaining highest level of delivery
- Promotes and supports workplace diversity initiatives
- Assists and supports the head/executive chef
- Assists Executive Chef with employee training and cross training
- Assists in the prep and execution of the Short Order Station, catering, hot food production, or cold food production
- Ensures quality of food, method of cooking, garnishing, recipe and understanding the safe storage of food
- Continue professional relationships with vendors
- Helps the executive chef select and train kitchen staff
- Assists with the planning of menus and meals
- Estimates food consumption in order to purchase the appropriate amount of ingredients for preparation and provides recipe standards for each meal
- Offers guidance to line cooks on the preparation, cooking and presentation of different foods in the restaurant
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state and local regulations as well as Hampton Golf policies and procedures (e.g. quality assurance, safety, operations, personnel)
- Assists the executive chef in the enforcement of health and safety standards in the kitchen
- Inspects and signs for orders received during shift to ensure product quality
- Ensures that kitchen, equipment and storage facilities are sanitary, neat and organized
- Probes potential problems and apprises manager of status on resolution of problems or issues, using appropriate resources when necessary
- Maintain, troubleshoot and report any problems with kitchen equipment
- Ensure proper storage of walk-in refrigerator, freezer and dry storage
- Leads by providing positive and constructive feedback to employees in order to reward, coach, correct and motivate
- Establishes a safe work environment for employees by providing safety-related training and equipment maintenance and by ensuring compliance with Hampton Golf safety and loss prevention programs and with standards
- Establishes operating standards, implements quality improvements and communicates them to employees
- Helps in ensuring customers are served efficiently and effectively
- Direct and coordinate the production of the dish room and line cooks as well as monitor buffet lines and salad bars for proper stock and rotation during their scheduled shifts.
- Establishes and assigns scheduling tasks.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Two years of Sous Chef experience OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved
Work is primarily indoors. Potential exposure to sharp and rapid equipment movement, sharp utensils, harmful chemicals and/or being exposed to flying golf balls.
This job description does not imply that the above are the only responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any on the job related duties as requested. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.
Good organizational and verbal skills. Ability to use logical and rational thinking to resolve issues. Ability to perform basic mathematical skills, monitor and develop subordinates, visually monitor the operation areas and write and read member communication.
Must have the ability to perform moderate physical work and may be required to lift up to 80 lbs., up to 50 lbs. frequently and up to 20 lbs. constantly. Perform activities such as bending, kneeling, crouching, climbing, reaching, standing, pushing, lifting and grasping for up to 5 hours without sitting. Ability to consistently lift, carry and load adaptive and other sports equipment that may weigh 50 or more pounds, and sustain aerobic activity for 20 consecutive minutes.
Please be advised that all work that requires the use of a ladder more than 8 ft. long must be reviewed by Hampton Golf’s Club Maintenance person. Following an assessment of the situation, a determination will be made as to whether a maintenance team member or subcontractors will perform the necessary maintenance task. No other staff member is authorized to climb to heights exceeding 8 ft. and/or perform such maintenance. In addition, personnel are prohibited from entering facility attics, walking on the roof of buildings and/or from using scaffolding.
Use the following safety precautions when using an 8ft. ladder:
- Correct placement of the ladder. The safest angle for a straight ladder is to ensure it is placed on-fourth the distance from the base to the point of support. “A” frame ladders naturally comply.
- Ensure the ladder is placed on a firm level surface, and do not place the ladder near a doorway.
- Ensure there are non-skid shoes on the ladder.
- If using a medal ladder, be sure that it is not near electrical wires.
- One person on a ladder at one time, and ensure another staff member is holding the ladder in position.
- Never overreach.