At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
About the Role
The Autonomy team at Uber ATG is always experimenting with cutting edge machine learning models that we train and evaluate before deploying onto our fleet of self-driving cars. As an Autonomy Machine Learning Systems Engineer, you will build out the software systems and frameworks used in developing our learned models, especially around massive deep learning problems. You’ll process many petabytes of real world data captured by our cars and use simulation tools to build out automated pipelines that analyze model performance across challenging scenarios. The results of your efforts will be fast and resilient models that detect, predict, and respond to situations in real time.
- Design, implement, test, and maintain ML systems for autonomy use cases
- Improve the automation and reliability of data processing pipelines for model training and analysis
- Architect ML models for high performance and strict runtime requirements
- Integrate models and algorithms into software that controls self-driving vehicles
- Modify software involving mathematical concepts and scientific measurements
- Create large-scale data analysis tools to measure changes in autonomy behavior
What You’ll Need
- BS / MS / PhD degree in Computer Science or a related field
- For non-CS majors or BS candidates, strong industry software experience (2-5 years)
- Excellent programming and software design skills in C++/C or Python
- Strong analytical skills
- Comfort working on large codebases and software systems
- Strong software development background demonstrated by industry experience
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Background in computer vision
- Familiarity with rich sensor data (e.g., LIDAR, RADAR, camera)
- Experience programming in a deep learning framework (e.g., PyTorch, Tensorflow)
- Experience building distributed systems, cloud computing systems, storage systems, or automated data pipelines
- Experience with large-scale data analysis tools (e.g., Spark)
- Experience with containerized services in datacenter or cloud environments
- Knowledge of web technologies and frameworks (e.g., Flask, React)
- Knowledge of performance optimization techniques, especially CUDA and GPU-accelerated software
About the Team
The Autonomy team is responsible for the core behavior of our self-driving vehicles. We employ a combination of techniques from machine learning and robotics to build up a complex system of geometric and probabilistic abstractions, combining state of the art research with rigorous engineering. We contribute to the research community with publications in major conferences. In our line of work, there isn’t a single day that doesn’t present an intriguing challenge in algorithms and systems engineering.
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Boulder, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it’s not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.