Dematic is an intralogistics innovator that designs, builds and supports intelligent, automated solutions for manufacturing, warehouse and distribution environments for customers that are powering the future of commerce. With engineering centers, manufacturing facilities and service centers located in more than 25 countries, the Dematic global network of 10,000 employees has helped achieve more than 6,000 worldwide customer installations for some of the world’s leading brands. Headquartered in Atlanta, Dematic is a member of KION Group, a global leader in industrial trucks, supply chain solutions and related services, and a leading provider of warehouse automation.
The Site Manager is responsible for ensuring that the on-site activities are performed in accordance with project drawings, specifications, and Dematic systems standards are met in compliance with a project’s schedule. Under direction of the Program Manager or Project Manager, this position serves as the full-time on-site supervisor responsible for coordination of on-site construction, installation, and commissioning activities associated with the implementation of a Material Handling System.
Key Responsibilities (Problem Solving, Critical Thinking):
- The Site Manager will have temporary residence close to the job site and will work full-time on the job site from beginning of installation through Customer acceptance. The Site Manager is the Dematic agent on the job site who shall always maintain a high degree of professionalism while serving as the Project Management representative in dealing with the Customer, GC, Dematic personnel.
- As directed by the Program or Project Manager, will coordinate all on-site activity of Dematic personnel and subcontractors and serve as the primary point of contact between these activities and the Customer and/or Customer’s agent and GC. Is to be intimately familiar with the overall project schedule and coordinate with the on-site team to ensure that all on-site work is performed in conformance with the project schedule. Coordinate with the Installation Supervisor and provide assistance with locating “lost” or missing parts and with the expediting of parts, as required. Serves as the Dematic representative at weekly on-site customer/contractor meetings. Will call, chair, and document daily site team progress/coordination meetings. Coordinate with the Installation Supervisor and conduct frequent reviews of all on-site work and immediately report all problems and potential schedule issues to the Installation Supervisor and Program or Project Manager.
- Receive requests from the Customer for additional work and/or changes to contract. Relay these requests to the Program or Project Manager. Additional work authorization for Customer requested additional work and/or changes, needs to be approved by the Program or Project Manager.
- Monitor resource levels and requirements and coordinate working hours for all Dematic personnel and subcontractors. Report any resource or personnel issues immediately to the Program or Project Manager. Authorize overtime, as approved by the Program or Project Manager.
- Coordinate commissioning, system integration, and acceptance testing to include coordination of test product and resources. Coordinate rate tests, pre-acceptance dry run testing, and participate in acceptance testing with/for the Customer. Prepares and maintains detailed records and result reports for all testing activities. Will be intimately familiar with the testing requirements and effectively communicate testing requirements and schedules to the project team and Customer.
- Maintain and manage the overall system “punch list” containing all outstanding known problems. Coordinate with the project team to ensure timely completion, verification, and close out/sign-off of all punch list items. Communicate punch list status to the team daily and include with the site summary report or as required by the Program or Project Manager.
- Maintain a daily site log and issue a consolidated daily summary report to the Program or Project Manager covering progress of on-site work. Contents of this report are to be coordinated and discussed with the team prior to final submittal to ensure report consistency.
- Assist the Installation supervisor with the monitoring of on-site work of Dematic contracted subcontractors and ensure that work is performed in accordance with approved drawings, specifications, and standards and in compliance with applicable building codes, environmental regulations, and safety requirements.
- Promptly call for engineering assistance on unusual or difficult problems.
- When required and as directed by the Program or Project Manager, hire casual labor to perform commissioning support (i.e. test product handlers, cleanup personnel, etc.) and supervise and approve the work of casual labor.
- Monitor receipt of spare parts and prepare post project report and account for all spare parts used during installation.
- In coordination with the Installation Supervisor, monitor job site for safety and report any safety concerns to both the Installation Supervisor and the Program or Project Manager.
What We Are Looking For:
Trade school graduate or two-year associate degree in a Mechanical, Electrical, or Mechanical Technician program.
Knowledge / Qualifications:
- Must be willing to travel on short notice and spend the major part of the time on a job site. May be continuously away from home for several months. Some Saturday, Sunday, and shift work are required.
- Five years (minimum) experience in on-site supervision of construction work or the installation and start-up of Material Handling, machine tools, or production equipment is required.
- Experience in installing one or more AGVS, AS/RS, Unit Sortation Systems, and Package Handling Conveyors is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of on-site construction practice, subcontracting practice, building codes, environmental regulations, and safety requirements is required.
- Must have mechanical and electrical aptitude. Must be knowledgeable of practice and standards for electrical power wiring for machinery and for control wiring.
- Must be able to read and interpret blueprints.
- Must be able to act calmly in stressful situations and work under limited supervision.
- Must be capable of effectively interacting with Installers, Engineers, Customers, Customer Agents, and General Contractors.
- Must be able to write concise, clear, and complete trip reports.