Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste ("EfW") facilities safely convert approximately 21 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle over 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today’s most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit www.covanta.com .
Information on our facilities is available at www.covanta.com/Covanta-Map . For career opportunities, visit www.covanta.com/Careers . Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf) Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Position Description: Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Shift Supervisor is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the facility during an assigned shift, to include the monitoring of boilers, turbine and steam plant. The Shift Supervisor will routinely tour the plant and oversee the work of various personnel, while operating within all safety regulations, environmental limits and permits. In the event of emergencies or unusual operations, the Shift Supervisor will, if necessary, direct or personally perform the required operations as well as coordinate the activities of all personnel involved.
Shift Supervisors at Covanta receive competitive wages and benefits, and are eligible for straight time pay when covering additional shifts.
Competitive Base Salary of $130,000 and Sign-On Bonus Available to well-qualified candidates for this opportunity.
Annual Bonus Pay and Comprehensive Company Benefits are included.
Shift Supervisors work a rotating 12-hour shift schedule that alternates between days and nights every 2 months and work every other weekend, to include holidays, outage support, and vacation coverage.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe working environment for all personnel at the facility. Will ensure that all personnel follow all applicable policies and procedures and work in a safe and efficient manner.
- Responsible for approving all requests for removing equipment from service for maintenance and other purposes, ensuring equipment is properly cleared and tagged, and issuing safety permits, in accordance with plant procedures.
- Maintain the plant within all environmental limits and permits.
- Emergency response to injuries or accidents.
- Direct the completion of shift, daily, weekly and monthly checks.
- Maximize operational performance of all aspects of the facility.
- Troubleshoot plant operational issues.
- Coordinate maintenance activities.
- Projects as determined by the Operations Manager.
- Train and manage a workforce that is motivated, flexible in skills, cross trained, and technically capable to ensure an effective and motived team.
- Responsible for technical training and development of all personnel on assigned shift.
- Maintaining administrative records on personnel.
- Direction of manpower to address housekeeping issues.
Qualified candidates must have 5-7 years or more of experience in power or resource recovery plant operations.
While an engineering degree is desirable, hands-on experience with high-pressure boilers and electrical generation, as well as formal technical training is required.
Must possess a Massachusetts Second Class Engineer’s License. Must obtain & maintain an ASME QRO Provisional license and the ability to obtain a Site Specific Operators license.
Critical Skills and Abilities:
- Detailed knowledge of the operation of steam generating power stations and instrument and control systems. Ability to originate and monitor plant procedures and technical instructions.
- Well-developed skills in troubleshooting equipment and systems, training personnel and interpreting logic diagrams.
- Good communication skills, strong leadership skills, and problem solving/decision making skills are a must.
- Must obtain and maintain an ASME QRO shift supervisor’s license.
- Ability to work shift work, including nights, weekends, and holidays, as required to support the staffing of the facility 24/7.
All Shift Supervisors must be able to work in all locations within the plant, under extremes of hot and cold, and in areas of dust, noise and wet conditions. Must be able to climb onto equipment and work in heights, lift heavy objects up to 50 lbs. and other manual labor to including pushing, pulling, sweeping and shoveling.
Employees in this position are required to be clean shaven, which is defined as having shaved the day of work. Mustaches that do not extend beyond the jawbone and do not interfere with the respirators sealing points are permitted. Full beards, goatees and bushy side burns are prohibited. This requirement is to comply with OSHA regulation 29 CFR 1910.134, due to occasional respirator use at our facilities. Covanta is a smoke free worksite.