- Serve as working leader of employees engaged in the manufacture, fabrication, modification, repair, assembly, and installation of sheet metal parts, items and assemblies.
- Provide guidance regarding policies, procedures, written instructions and/or other directives.
- Provide technical assistance and mentor other sheet metal workers/mechanics.
- Plan, layout, and construct sheet metal items/systems from a variety of metals having combined straight and curved edges or irregular curves and planes.
- Provide input to manager in support of production line (e.g. safety, equipment and personnel).
- Ensure hand and power machines, shop practices, methods, and techniques are adapted for each new situation.
Job family (Series)
3806 Sheet Metal Mechanic
- Metal Workers, All Other
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Workers, Metal, All Other
- Workers, Sheet Metal
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation. .
- You must successfully complete and pass a NATIONAL AGENCY CHECK WITH WRITTEN INQUIRIES (NACI, Tier 1).
- Successfully complete and pass pre-employment and annual physicals.
QualificationsWho May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Department of Army Civilian Employees
- Priority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to lead or supervise the work of an Sheet Metal Mechanic without more than normal supervision. I have the ability to perform common Sheet Metal Mechanic Leader duties to include setting up operating equipment to perform sheet metal repair, fabrication, modification, and installation; interpreting and translating work orders or oral instructions accompanied by blue prints, sketches, drawings, sample parts, or other work specifications; ensuring needed blueprints, materials, and tools are available; and devising a plan for others to follow. I can plan, lay out, and construct sheet metal items/systems from a variety of metals having combined straight and curved edges or irregular curves and planes and use advanced measuring instruments to measure parts and projects. I provide technical assistance to other sheet metal worker/mechanics. – Failure to meet this Screen Out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
To meet the basic eligibility, you must receive at least two points on the screen-out element indicated above and must have an average of two points on all the job elements listed below. Your application will be further evaluated to determine if you meet the best qualified cut-off for referral to the selecting official.
- ABILITY TO INTERPRET INSTRUCTIONS, SPECIFICATIONS ETC. (INCLUDING BLUEPRINT READING)
- Ability To Lead or Supervise
- Ability to Use Hand Tools, Power Tools, etc., for Metal Work
- Dexterity (Assembly Disassembly Reassembly etc)
- Knowledge of Equipment, Structure, Materials, etc. (includes constructing repair, and forging)
- Layout and Pattern Development (includes Geometric Projection and Triangulation)
- Physical Efforts: Stands, climbs, reaches, lifts and bends in performing duties. Also required to work in cramped and awkward positions. Weight lifted seldom exceeds 50 pounds.
- Working Conditions: Works inside, as well as outside. Employee is exposed to noise and vibration. Also subject to cuts, bruises, falls and burns. Required to wear appropriate safety equipment.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 17 – Materials Maintenance Management position.
- You may claim military spouse preference (MSP).
- If a MSP applicant is determined best qualified and selected, placement must be at the full performance level for priority consideration.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- The Department of the Army is committed to the highest ethical standards and, as an employee, you will be covered by the criminal conflict of interest statutes and the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying as a veteran, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc). Please review the following links to see which documents you need to provide to prove your eligibility to apply: Applicant Merit Checklist and Proof of Eligibility.
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- Proof of Eligibility to Apply: Your application must include the documents which prove you are eligible to apply for the vacancy. The Proof of Eligibility document describes authorities commonly used in merit promotion recruitment and what document(s) are required to prove you meet the requirements of the authority. You must meet the requirements of at least one of the authorities listed in the Who May Apply section above to receive further consideration.
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This position will be filled on a Temporary basis not to exceed one (1) year, may be extended to a maximum of five (5) years, and may be made permanent without further competition
THIS POSITION WILL BE FILLED ON THIRD SHIFT.
This job is open to
Federal employees – Competitive service
Current or former competitive service federal employees.
Clarification from the agency
See "Who May Apply" in the "Qualifications" section for more information on who is eligible to apply for this position.