We’re looking for an experienced Sensory Scientist to join our Consumer and Marketplace Insights team in Richmond, VA. If you’re the person we’re looking for, we’ll give you the chance to lead, design and execute research studies designed to produce actionable consumer insights supporting product development and research.
What will you be doing:
- You will provide the voice of the consumer in product business decision-making.
- You’ll collaborate with cross functional teams to clearly define the sensory research strategy, scope of work for product research, and deliverables.
- You will conduct research projects through definition of research objectives, selection of appropriate research methodologies and supplier, development of participant inclusion/exclusion criteria, product preparation details, discussion guide, survey questionnaire, statistical analysis plan and other supplier deliverables.
- You’ll analyze and interpret study data to provide actionable insights from consumer product research to impact strategic business plans, ensuring that the primary research questions are answered by the research.
- You will share key insights from research studies conducted and aid in the strategic interpretation of data. Clearly articulate study objectives and findings through written and oral communication.
- You’ll serve as a strategic partner to internal account leads by making recommendations to the clients based on research findings.
- You will manage multiple priorities and projects in a rapidly changing environment. Coordinate and document research procedures and processes, which may include study materials, products/samples for assigned projects in addition to the data collection process.
- You’ll maintain and track product research budget.
- You will improve the sensory product infrastructure through new practices and methodologies.
What does your background and experience look like?
- You have 3+ years of professional experience in consumer product research, preferably in a consumer goods company.
- You possess a Master’s Degree in Food Science, Social Sciences, Marketing Research or relevant scientific field; a PhD would be even better.
- You’re deeply knowledgeable in at least one of the following technical areas: sensory evaluation methods (discrimination testing, descriptive analysis etc.), statistics (experimental design, hypothesis testing etc.), psychology, qualitative and quantitative consumer research methods.
- You have experience in consumer product research including survey design, methodology strengths and limitations, and you know how to best address business questions.
- You take a scientific approach to product research and have the ability to deliver insights at a pragmatic business level.
- You have strong analytic and critical thinking skills.
- You can work with both departmental and cross-functional teams efficiently.
- You’re an excellent presenter, both orally and in writing.
Altria Group holds diversified positions across tobacco, alcohol, and cannabis. Our tobacco companies include some of the most enduring names in American business: Philip Morris USA, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, John Middleton and Nat Sherman. And we have 35 percent ownership of JUUL Labs, Inc., the nation’s leading e-vapor company. We complement our total tobacco business with our ownership of Ste. Michelle Wine Estates and our significant equity investment in Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world’s largest brewer.
We recognize that our people are the reason we achieve our business goals. We believe in developing the leadership potential of our employees by providing them with opportunities for training, development, and advancement.
In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your skills toward key business objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, participation in our incentive compensation and deferred profit sharing programs, as well as a relocation assistance package.
Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other protected class.