Senior Automation Engineering Technician
Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. Our proprietary platform integrates molecular biology, robotics, and machine learning in order to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes and the products they produce have broad applications across industries such as chemicals, materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.
Working at Zymergen offers cross-disciplinary exposure to fields that make a difference in the lives of millions of people. We are a fast-growing startup with a competitive compensation package, casual environment, and good benefits including: catered lunches, fully stocked kitchen/snacks, nursing room, meditation room, and company-wide learning opportunities.
The Automation Sustain team keeps the laboratory robots and other specialty equipment running by performing scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, as well as executing continuous improvement projects to increase efficiency. They also support laboratory moves, new instrument onboarding, and user training. By working in Automation Sustain, you will use a broad base of skills that will help you to grow your career in many directions as you help enable Zymergen's cutting edge research.
Zymergen is hiring a Senior Automation Engineering Technician to maintain and strengthen our rapidly expanding industrial biofactory, which includes liquid handlers, plate readers, colony pickers, bioreactors, and large assemblies of integrated equipment. Work includes Preventative Maintenance tasks, Installation and Operational Qualifications, equipment moves, and instrument teaching following SOPs and work instructions. In addition to scheduled work, you will perform unscheduled maintenance to resolve user-submitted issues escalated by the junior team members.
As a senior member of the team, you will help mentor the junior members learn the hands on troubleshooting skills needed to keep the lab automation running. You will improve the operation by managing our workshop and defining new SOPs as needed. If you are interested in leadership, you will have the opportunity to supervise junior technicians.
- Associate Degree in a Science or Engineering discipline or equivalent on-the-job mechatronics experience in lieu of a degree.
- 7+ years of applicable experience servicing mechanical or electrical equipment.
- Proven success working in a customer service role.
- Experience troubleshooting hardware issues using standard problem solving techniques such as 5 Whys or Fishbone diagram methods.
- Experience troubleshooting electromechanical issues using electrical diagrams and measuring tools including digital multimeters.
- Experience working with equipment vendors and site operations teams to ensure proper utilities (power, compressed air, data, vacuum, etc.) are in place for moves and installations.
- Experience contributing to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Familiarity with document and spreadsheet software (e.g. Google Docs/Sheets/Slides or Microsoft Excel).
- Familiarity with asset management and ticketing/work order systems (e.g. Salesforce, SAP), document management (e.g. Dropbox, Intelex), purchasing systems (e.g. Coupa), communication systems (Slack, Zoom)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to work autonomously with self-awareness to know when to seek guidance.
- A team player who sees the value gained through communication and collaboration.
- Ability to remain calm and objective in an environment that sometimes lacks routine.
- Ability to routinely lift 50 lbs.
- Experience servicing laboratory automation and other specialty instruments used in molecular biology, sequencing, cell culture, and fermentation.
- Experience servicing liquid handling systems such as Tecan EVO, Tecan Fluent, Agilent Bravo, or Beckman Coulter Echo.
- Experience mentoring junior staff members.
- Experience training equipment operators.
- Experience developing preventative maintenance SOPs
- Mentor junior team members.
- Manage the team's workshop.
- Ensure adequate supply of parts and working spare equipment.
- Work with Site Operations team on new laboratory designs to ensure that equipment will be usable and maintainable.
- Coordinate team members during larger scale equipment moves and installations.
- Perform calibrations and preventative maintenance using documented procedures to minimize equipment downtime.
- Participate in On Site Ticket Responder rotation and the Remote On Call Responder rotation as needed to support the operations.
- Assist with the deployment of instruments and integrated platforms into the production laboratories following IQ/OQ/PQ documents.
- Work with team members to analyze equipment downtime metrics including Mean Time to Repair (MTTR), Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF), and Mean Time to Failure (MTTF) in order to improve our maintenance plans and overall efficiency.
- Author maintenance plans and SOP documentation as needed.
- Provide timely reports of work performed following good documentation practices.
- Work in collaboration with members of the entire automation department as needed to achieve department goals.
- Create good rapport with internal customer base and cross functional partners.
- People with diverse backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to apply.
- We are looking for interested candidates willing to start immediately.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.