Novo Nordisk Research Center Indianapolis, Inc. (NNRCII) is the home of the Transformational Research Unit-Chemical Biology, an elite research team working autonomously yet in union within Novo Nordisk’s global research mission to transform the management of cardio-metabolic diseases. Enabled by the Novo Nordisk Research & Development organization, the mission of these global Transformational Research Units is to bring forth projects that will expand and diversify the Novo Nordisk pipeline of life-changing medicines. As a Transformational Research Unit, the team at NNRCII operates independently from the core organization in order to cultivate the discovery of disruptive research concepts and accelerate translational validation. This center was established in 2016 when Novo Nordisk acquired two private biotechnology companies co-founded by Professor DiMarchi that were focused on developing peptide-based drug candidates for treatment of diabetes and obesity. Our research program has maintained a state-of-the-art, fast paced character that represents the best practices commonly observed in academic, biotech and pharma companies.
Our scientists are focused on innovative discovery projects pertaining to the treatment of metabolic disorders. We develop and employ cutting-edge biotechnologies to identify, refine, and select suitable drug candidates that possess novel mechanisms of biological action through collaboration with internationally acclaimed academic centers of excellence and integration within aspects of the global Novo Nordisk Research & Development organization. At NNRCII, your skills, dedication and ambition will help us change lives for the better. We will offer you an opportunity to work with extraordinary talent and to continuously develop, while addressing serious chronic medical conditions.
Demonstrates scientific leadership through technical support to the therapeutic discovery department at Novo Nordisk Research Center Indianapolis, Inc. (NNRCI) in order to facilitate the discovery of peptide and protein-based bio-therapeutics for the treatment of diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease and liver disease. This position is responsible to design and conduct experiments using liquid chromatography (LC) and mass spectrometry (MS) techniques for bioanalytical characterization of therapeutic peptides and proteins. This position will play a critical role in moving projects from target discovery and preclinical target validation to lead candidate optimization and clinical candidate selection. This position requires a highly proficient scientific professional in the specific focus area of LCMS-based bioanalytical characterization of peptide and protein-based therapeutics to determine 1) in vivo pharmacokinetic (PK) parameters and metabolite identification, 2) in vitro drug metabolism, 3) drug transport and molecular biotransformation, 4) comprehensive chemical stability, and 5) advanced peptidomics, proteomics and protein bioanalysis to support target discovery.
Reports to the Director of Biology. Internal relationships include working across the project teams that include project managers, medicinal chemists, in vitro biologists and pharmacologists, as well as in close-partnership with individual research colleagues at NNRCI and globally at Novo Nordisk research laboratories in Denmark and Beijing. External relationships include relevant parts of the peptide & protein sciences, analytical chemistry, and metabolic disease biology communities. May serve as the representative to external collaborations including contractual research organizations.
- Support research objectives focused on drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics (DMPK), drug delivery, and molecular biotransformation specifically by LCMS-based techniques including LCMS analytical method development, sample preparation and extraction, LCMS data acquisition, quantitative bioanalytical data processing and interpretation
- Provide hands-on operation and technical proficiency for troubleshooting state-of-the-art LCMS instrumentation
- Assist in design and pragmatic considerations of biological and pharmacological studies based on bioanalytical method constraints
- Provide support to the site and global business strategy through technical awareness, scientific strategic leadership, and by ensuring state-of-the-art competency within expertise area
- Understanding of the requirements and the process of transitioning a preclinical discovery to a clinical candidate
- Support and lead research projects and programs through fast-paced, high-functioning and goal-oriented teams
- Accurately interprets experimental data, formulates conclusions, conceptualizes subsequent strategies, and communicates data internally and externally
- Maintains up-to-date scientific awareness in expertise area through literature (scientific and patent) and attendance at scientific conferences such that novel technologies can be employed at the NNRCI to drive new molecular innovation
- Implements what broadly needs to be accomplished or established in order to meet the implicit and explicit needs of internal and external stakeholders
0-10% overnight travel required.
- Ph.D. required. Preferred in the following fields, Bioanalytical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Protein Biochemistry or a related field
- Minimum of 3+ years post-doctoral experience or industry experience
- LCMS-based bioanalytical methods for characterization and quantification of peptides and proteins in biological matrices
- Quantitative in vitro and in vivo drug metabolism and pharmacokinetic (DMPK) evaluation
- Experience with advanced proteomics using MS via quantitative and qualitative LCMS techniques preferred
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
- Ability to influence, communicate and collaborate across a global organization
- Demonstrates expertise in scientific field and ability to apply skills to contribute to organization strategy
- Demonstrates strong understanding of complex scientific procedures with technical proficiency
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Requisition ID: 60485BR
Job Category: Research