At Locanabio, we are creating a new class of genetic medicines to treat a range of human genetic diseases by delivering RNA binding proteins and effector domains that can precisely manipulate disease causing RNA by several mechanisms without DNA modification. We deliver our RNA manipulation systems by gene therapy which provides a durable effect with one-time treatment. The broad range of RNA manipulations that are possible with our approach provides a unique platform to address many diseases beyond which is possible with current therapies. The wide range of potential indications is supported by the modularity of our RNA-targeting gene therapies which provide exquisite control of specificity and activity.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with protein engineering, molecular biology and gene expression experience to join our team. This Research Associate position will be responsible for molecular designs, cloning, and testing in a variety of cell-based and biochemical assays, to contribute to the identification and analysis of potential therapeutics.
This position will be responsible for independent research that supports objectives provided by senior staff and encouraged to innovate new strategic research directions and recommend to supervising staff. You will have the opportunity to make significant contributions in our dynamic start-up environment where self-driven, enthusiastic employees thrive.
- Design of novel DNA constructs and cloning strategies.
- Cloning of novel DNA constructs.
- Test constructs in mammalian cell-based and biochemical assays.
- DNA, RNA, and protein extraction.
- Test and analyze using PCR, qRT-PCR, Immunofluorescence, Fluorescent in situ hybridization, Western blot, ELISA, and related molecular biology techniques.
- Examine data and prepare technical reports, summaries, protocols and quantitative analysis, ensuring experiments are well documented.
- Maintain familiarity with current scientific literature as advised by supervisor.
- Work in a team environment, collaborating with various colleagues across multiple departments.
- Help to maintain laboratory, order common supplies, contribute to plasmid production for collaborating groups.
- Perform additional activities as needed.
- BS or MS in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology or related field
- 5 – 8 years experience using molecular and cell biology techniques
- Knowledge and experience with: molecular cloning and DNA plasmid design; mammalian tissue culture and cell-based assays; and, protein and nucleic acid isolation, PCR, qPCR, WB, ELISA, and other molecular detection techniques
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization which requires flexibility, and a willingness to learn new techniques and methods.
- Experience with rational protein design and engineering (strongly preferred)
- Experience with flow cytometry
- Familiarity with genome browsers
- Familiarity with sequence analysis and editing software tools
- Familiarity with molecular graphics software
The level of this role will be based on candidate’s skills and qualifications.
Locanabio is dedicated to fostering a workplace that keeps our team inspired and engaged. We offer an inclusive company culture where employees feel respected and valued.
Locanabio offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental and life insurance benefits for employees and their families. We also offer a 401(k) plan with a matching contribution, and stock options.
Locanabio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected categories.
Send your cover letter and resume for immediate consideration.