Consistent with the mission, vision and values of National League of Cities, support the successful design, outreach, and administration of the racial healing grants primarily with W.K. Kellogg Foundation. Serve as a racial healing subject-matter expert to raise awareness of key issues facing member cities.
- Provide assistance and respond to information requests from NLC member cities, state municipal leagues, and other interested parties on issues related to assigned programs.
- Plan, organize, and lead meetings, conference calls, webinars, and site visits designed to engage NLC member cities on specific topics related to assigned programs.
- Develop reports, tools and resources to support the implementation of programs with member cities.
- Maintain partnerships with a variety of organizations working in the field. Identify opportunities to draw upon these partnerships in order to broaden the array of resources available to municipal leaders in NLC member cities.
- Provide excellent member service and build relationships with local elected officials active in the organization.
Grant Fulfillment (when applicable)
- Coordinate and drive the fulfillment of grant requirements according to established deadlines in collaboration with program team members, other departments, and outside stakeholders as required.
- Develop timelines in consultation with the Director for program team members to prepare and submit documentation, results, and other deliverables to meet grant requirements and deadlines.
- Plan and implement program-specific meetings, events, and other activities under the direction of the program leadership. Design and develop content; select and secure speakers; create agendas; and provide input on logistics to senior NLC conference and meeting planners.
- Represent NLC at national, regional, and state conferences and meetings in order to build new partnerships, raise the visibility of NLC’s work, and stay abreast of the latest developments in the field.
- Make presentations and lead group discussions in meetings and workshops at NLC’s major conferences, at partner meetings and conferences, and in local communities.
- Contribute to the development of program proposals, outreach strategies, and long-term work plans under the direction of the Director.
Program Research and Analysis
- Compile information on best practices and promising initiatives within cities to support the development of research, communications, and city engagement initiatives for assigned programs.
- Analyze city-focused data sets and other research to develop tools and resources for city leaders, enhance NLC publications, and inform NLC staff and other stakeholders.
- Conceptualize and serve as the primary author of reports, strategy guides, and briefs for assigned programs. Prepare articles for blogs, newsletters, and other publications, and develop and update materials for inclusion on NLC’s website.
- Identify and utilize relevant research and program information available through a variety of sources. Contribute to efforts to build partnerships with source organizations when appropriate.
- Maintain thorough, up-to-date knowledge of assigned programs.
- Review program data and analyze the impact of ongoing programs. Recommend changes that improve the effectiveness of programs to support member city needs.
Perform other duties and complete special projects as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 4 years of practical experience in program area, or Master’s degree in a related field and 2 years of practical experience in program area
- Possesses required technical knowledge within assigned program area (refer to specific qualifications below)
- MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Proficiency in statistical programs and software, such as STATA, R, etc. preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer databases and contact management systems (CRMs)
- Experience working with city officials and/or city governments preferred
Position Specific Qualifications:
1. Strategize and implement new departmental structure
a. Guide implementation of Root Cause Analysis Tool and Equity Glossary
b. Serve as departmental liaison for the Institute for Youth, Education and Families
2. Complete Kellogg grant deliverables
a. Finish deliverables for Kellogg Foundation Racial Healing Grant
3. Manage specific deliverables in current City Contracts
a. Provide training, conduct assessments, review documents, and analyze data related to city technical assistance contracts
Work is typically performed in a standard office setting working at a desk or table on a level surface. Regular travel is expected. May be required to work more hours than normal during a regular workweek depending on workload and deadline requirements.