Who we are.
American National is a successful and stable corporation guided by five core values: Financial Strength, Integrity, Respect, Service and Teamwork. We are among America’s Most Trustworthy Financial Companies according to Forbes. We’ve spent the last 110+ years earning this reputation and we work each day to expand this legacy. We know we’re not just selling insurance, we’re providing security and peace of mind to our 5 million policyholders.
The growth, innovation and success of American National are driven by our incredible employees who thrive on delivering exceptional service to our clients. Success begins and ends with our people. Their loyalty and dedication to American National is why we’re successful.
If you share our values and can contribute to our mission of providing the highest quality service to our clients, we want to hear from you!
Why join us?
We know that our employees’ lives encompass much more than the time they spend at work. To help them maintain a healthy work/life balance, we’ve compiled a generous benefits package, including: medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, flexible spending account, matching 401(k), paid time off, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement and referral bonuses.
We’ve also incorporated unique benefits like our volunteer program where employees are provided PTO for giving their time to a non-profit of their choice. Healthy employees are productive employees so we also have a comprehensive wellness program that includes onsite fitness centers and classes or discounted gym memberships, free health screenings, free flu shots, and more.
Senior Cognos Analytics Author
The Senior Cognos Analytics Author is responsible for delivering high quality Cognos packages, reports, and dashboards that support the business’s needs. They will also be responsible for assisting in the design and maintenance of the overall delivery layer architecture by enforcing security and folder structure policies.
- Author complex Cognos packages, reports, KPIs, and dashboards
- Assist users in report scheduling and bursting
- Monitor recurring jobs, scripts, and events; proactively addressing issues
- Maintain and support Framework/Metadata definitions
- Set-up, maintain, monitor, and support Cognos security groups and accounts
- Understand business requirements and be able to relate these to the supporting system requirements producing simple technical specifications for the work to be done
- Work with IT, Actuarial, Underwriting, Marketing, and other areas to understand data structures, determine data definitions and evaluate the accuracy of data elements
- Review test results with the business and make necessary adjustments to the deliverables
- Train/assist users with report building and understanding of available data
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Minimum 4 – 7 years of experience developing high end reporting solutions with at least 2 of those years being in Cognos version 10 or higher
- Proficiency with Cognos Administration, Framework Manager, Report Studio, and Advanced Report Authoring using Cognos Analysis Studio
- Minimum 4 and preferably 5+ years of experience developing data warehouses/data marts
- Good understanding of the processes of data quality, data cleansing and data transformation
- Professional manner and presentation
- Logical thinking ability
- Ability to self-direct with keen attention to detail
- Uses concepts and abilities of an application developer and the company’s policies and procedures to solve a wide range of difficult problems in imaginative and practical ways
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning or equivalent work experience (1-2 years) in the business or technical world
- Knowledge of date modeling techniques for target structures such as Star Schemas, Snowflake Schemas, and Highly Normalized Data Models
- Knowledge of SQL and SSIS
- An aptitude for data manipulation and software engineering
- Knowledge of business (insurance marketing, accounting and/or administration) processes and procedures
- Experience in Netezza is a plus
- DB2 experience a plus
- Other ETL tools a plus
- IBM Certified Designer – IBM Cognos Analytics Author V11 is preferred
- IBM Certified Administrator – IBM Cognos Analytics Administrator V11 is a plus
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic team
- A real passion for creating leading edge solutions to complex business problems
- The ability to achieve a balance between the right technical and business solution
- Flexible attitude, ability to perform under pressure
- A commitment to quality and a thorough approach to the work
- A ‘can do’ attitude
The preceding job posting has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this role. It is not intended to be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
American National’s recruitment policies help us place individuals in a timely and efficient manner. Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted by our recruiting team. Candidates always have the ability to determine their application status by logging into our Career Portal.
American National is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.