Functional Area: Accounting & Finance
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Employee Type: Regular, FT
FLSA Status: Exempt
Role at Seattle Credit Union
To be an integral member of Seattle Credit Union’s Accounting team and to contribute to the department’s continuous improvements and processes. Assures accurate maintenance of general ledger accounts, sub-ledgers and the financial statements of the Credit Union.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for key functions of the department including timely preparation, reporting and accuracy of the credit unions financial statements.
- Responsible for daily and month end close entries.
- Daily reconciliations of; ACH clearing, remote deposit capture, share branching issuer, credit / debit card settlements and other corporate deposit and general ledger accounts and post necessary Journal Entries.
- Prepare and provide daily cash management / cash flow reports for the Chief Financial Officer and/or Controller.
- Responsible for quarterly NCUA 5300 call report and other regulatory reports including, but not limited to monthly and quarterly collateral reports.
- Responsible for preparation and maintenance of ALL including partial charge offs and recoveries.
- Responsible for ASC 310-20 accounting for deferred fees and other costs.
- Responsible for Investment accounting. These include; handling entries related to purchases, sales, reconciliations as well as providing necessary reports.
- Analyze revenues and expenses to ensure they are recorded appropriately on a monthly basis.
- Handle the accounting for GAAP and other credit union offered insurance products including recognition of accrual income and posting entries.
- Responsible for the accounting of the credit union’s leases/ rent, calculations and necessary entries.
- Perform assigned reconciliations and assist manager with necessary reviews.
- Assist with Internal and external audits and year end footnote disclosures.
- Assist in the implementation and monitoring of internal controls including writing and updating of tasks related procedures.
- Identify and implement process improvements that increase accuracy and efficiencies.
- Identify trends or issues that require management’s attention.
- Develops and assures strong supportive relationships with all departments and branches to ensure mutual cooperation and problem solving.
- Back up duties performed by Accounting Tech I, II and other Sr. Accountants as needed.
- Covers for the Accounting Manager when the Manager is out of the office.
- Complete and/attend necessary credit union assigned trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required. CPA/MBA preferred.
- Must have a minimum five years work experience in accounting and/or finance.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP/SFAS rules and regulatory accounting requirements as they pertain to financial institutions.
- Intermediate reconciliation and resolution of discrepancies.
- Knowledge (and experience) with core data processing systems and excellence with Windows-based computer programs.
- Prior financial institution experience and credit union history and its philosophy preferred.
Skills and abilities
- Background in loan accounting preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- High level of attention to detail, deadline-oriented, research skills and analyzing information.
- Flexible in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent customer service. Ability to communicate with tact, discretion, and courtesy with all levels within and outside the organization. Good negotiation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Intermediate excel, word and power point skills.
- Excellent attendance, professional appearance and demeanor.
- Indirect exposure to robbery.
- Work is generally performed in an office environment. May be required to attend off-hours and off-site meetings and seminar.
- May require extended hours and occasional travel.
- Physical effort may be required to lift and to move boxes of data reports (approximately 5 lbs. to 20 lbs.).
- Required to observe and practice safety procedures when installing data processing equipment, especially with regard to electrical connections, and lifting of data processing equipment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.