Farmingdale State College seeks to hire a full-time Senior Academic Advisor who will hold a joint appointment between the Academic Advisement and Information Center (AAIC), where they will serve as Senior Academic Advisor, and the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), where they will serve as Academic Coordinator.
Within the AAIC, this position will advise and serve Farmingdale students as a professional staff member in the College's Academic Advisement and Information Center (AAIC). Working with six other Academic Counselors; as well as, with the Office Manager/Administrative Assistant and Technology Support Specialist in the AAIC, and collaborating with administrators, faculty, staff, and offices across the College, the counselor will serve FSC students by:
- Advising and registering new first year students as well as upper-class students in selected majors
- Meeting with students given early warning and probation notices and orchestrating follow-up
- Providing information, resources, and referrals on broad academic matters and special opportunities to all FSC students
- Conducting workshops and preparing advisement materials and handbooks
- Welcoming incoming first year students and their parents by offering summer "Information Sessions" and participating in accepted student programs
- Teaching a fall semester 1-credit First Year Experience course
Finally, the Counselor/Advisor will sustain partnerships with other individuals and offices (faculty, tutoring, writing center, disabilities services, financial aid, student affairs, athletics, veterans affairs etc.) so as to assure that students are given appropriate guidance and support.
Within the EOP, this position will:
- Coordinate the EOP Tutorial Services
- Coordinate the Academic Intervention Program
- Coordinate academic support services for the EOP inclusive of academic advisement
- Assist with the planning, implementation and assessment of the academic component of the EOP Pre-Freshman Summer Program
- Assist with the development, implementation, and assessment of student development programming for the EOP
- Serve as liaison between the EOP and AAIC
The college particularly welcomes candidates with knowledge, skills and abilities that include:
- Commitment to diversity and university initiatives supportive of diversity and inclusion.
- Interest in participating in student-centered service activities.
- Desire to apply expertise in promoting civic engagement with the College's many community partners.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Masters Degree in an academic discipline or related field (e.g.; counseling, social work) awarded by December 31, 2020.
- Experience serving as an academic advisor or counselor in Higher Education. Knowledge of skills for academic success; such as, study habits, time management and test taking without anxiety.
- Ability to counsel college students individually; assessing needs and offering guidance.
- Ability to work with individuals and offices that serve students.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience serving as an academic advisor or counselor in Higher Education. Familiarity with Banner, Degree Works, and CRM Advise.
- Experience teaching a first-year-experience course.
- Excellent record keeping skills (using computer systems).
- Experience coordinating tutorial services.
- Experience with Academic Intervention programs.
- Familiarity with academic programs and support services at Farmingdale State College.
This is a full-time UUP position.
- For the first 10 working days, beginning Thursday, January 14, 2021 and ending Wednesday, January 27, 2021, applications will be limited to UUP Farmingdale.
- CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: Wednesday, January 27, 2021
- Salary: $60,000, may increase commensurate with experience
- THIS IS AN INTERNAL SEARCH
The State University of New York offers excellent fringe benefits including health insurance options and retirement plans
VISA SPONSORSHIP IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
The Consumer Information web page can be viewed at the following link
This page describes various services, information and statistics on many different aspects of the College's operations.
Farmingdale State College seeks a broad and diverse pool of candidates for this position. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status or any other legally protected status.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]