EMPLOYER: City of Valley Center
DIVISION: Parks and Public Buildings
JOB TITLE: Seasonal Groundskeeper
This position is a seasonal position, typically from March to November with a maximum of 1000 hours/year. Under the general supervision of the Director of Parks & Public Buildings and direct supervision of the Park & Public Buildings Supervisor, this employee performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled work operations in the maintenance and improvement of parks, public properties, public buildings and facilities, swimming pool, pond, sidewalks, trails and cemetery to maintain a safe, clean and user friendly environment.
- Monitors and maintains general appearance and functionality of all city parks, public properties public buildings and facilities, municipal swimming pool, municipal cemetery. This includes mowing, trimming and other landscape maintenance procedures.
- Operate and maintain vehicles and equipment following all applicable safety procedures.
- Performs basic preventative maintenance and repair tasks on buildings and facilities related to building interiors and exteriors including lighting & ballast replacement, roofing, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, painting, general maintenance, furniture moving and office set up and snow and ice removal.
The responsibilities described above represent the primary responsibilities of the job. Other responsibilities may be assigned by the supervisor as warranted by business needs. The incumbent is expected to do all assigned responsibilities.
This position requires the ability to work independently, work well with others and/or perform in a team environment on a daily basis. A working knowledge of turf & landscape management practices, arborist practices, knowledge of general building maintenance and repairs, vehicle and equipment maintenance and irrigation systems is preferred.
Communication, organizational, basic mathematical aptitude is expected.
Problem solving, safety, self-starting, financial impacts, recognition of priorities, organizational skills and time management is a factor in this position. This employee encounters problems with equipment malfunctions, swimming pool, irrigation systems, lawn, tree, landscape systems and building systems. It is expected that the employee make efficient use of city resources, including, finances, time, staff and equipment.
A valid driver’s license is required. The employee may be required to occasionally attend training and classes related to this position.
This position is entry level. Similar or related experience with, park, building & facility maintenance, landscaping, construction, grounds maintenance or similar field is preferred. Must be at least 18 years of age.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
Uses of a variety of gas powered and electric and hand tools related to the position is expected.
The ability to operate and maintain departmental equipment, including trucks, trailers, utility vehicles, mowers, tractors and gas powered equipment is expected.
Contact with the general public, co-workers, supervisory personnel is expected.
Adverse working conditions exist within this position. Work is both indoors and outdoors and therefore exposure to all types of weather conditions, chemicals, human waste, weeds , grass, rain, snow, machinery, excessive noise, heights, slopes, ponds, mud, work in confined spaces and working in and along city streets and amongst the public can be expected. Attention to safety, motivation, positive attitude, professionalism and the ability to get along with others is expected.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within one month of employment.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary
Pay: $10.50 – $11.50 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
All employees are required to wear a mask when they are not able to maintain social distancing guidelines.
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
- Multiple locations
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- Autonomous/Independent — enjoys working with little direction
This Job Is:
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
Company's Facebook page: