When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
Rockford, IL | Protein and Cell Analysis
How will you make an impact?
This Scientist III will play a critical role in the development of new reagents and targeted assays for small molecules using liquid chromatography (LC) and mass spectrometry (MS). This role requires strong technical skills in chromatography and mass spectrometry analysis for quantification including selective reaction monitoring (SRM). This scientist will work in a highly collaborative environment that integrates reagents, instruments, and software to develop robust quantitative assays. The individual will work closely with the Mass Spectrometry Reagents R&D groups in the Life Sciences Research (LSR) and cross-division departments.
What will you do?
- Designs and formulates isotopically labeled small molecule standard mixtures, optimizes targeted MS assays, streamlines data analysis, and determines product stability and manufacturability
- Designs, plans and conducts laboratory experiments independently in support of new product development
- Serves as Technical Leader on R&D projects of increasing complexity and number
- Effectively communicates results to project team members, senior leadership and internal stakeholders
- Drafts documents for production, testing, validation and use of products
- Assist with manufacturing, analytical validation efforts and risk mitigation plans
- Contributes well-considered ideas for new products and improvements to procedures
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of relevant fields, equipment and techniques
How will you get here?
- Ph.D. degree or MS degree and 3+ years of experience in analytical or life science (analytical chemistry, biochemistry, or related discipline) or equivalent
- Excellent knowledge and practical experience with liquid chromatography and targeted quantitation of small molecules with SRM/MRM MS methods.
- Expertise in MS sample preparation techniques and LC/MS-based method development and data processing
- Excellent technical/scientific/business knowledge of biological mass spectrometry applications and MS reagent market space.
- Ability to work independently to initiate, take ownership of, and lead research into innovative MS-based workflows and assays.
- Demonstrated oral and written communications skills with experience working in a matrix organization and with external customers.
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills, and the ability to conduct research independently as well as being a team player.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Relevant experience with Thermo Scientific LC/MS systems and software
- Experience in troubleshooting issues related to LC and MS instrumentation
- Familiarity with GMP and FDA requirements and regulations
- Experience in reagent product development experience or process validation
- Experience in product development and/or project management