We are seeking a creative and motivated Scientist III to join our rapidly growing Next-Generation Sequencing Applications team. The candidate will be responsible for developing and launching new products and will work closely with cross-functional teams including Bioinformatics, Marketing, Technical Service and/or Operations.
Successful candidates will have a strong background in molecular biology with experience in Next-Generation Sequencing applications, including hands-on experience with library construction, PCR methods, and reagent formulation. Ability to perform analysis on large datasets and experience in streamlining data entry and documentation is desirable. The candidate will work independently in a fast-paced team environment.
A master's degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, or a related discipline and 3 or more years of experience is required. Alternately, a bachelor's degree with 5 or more years of experience is acceptable. Next-Generation Sequencing experience is strongly preferred, as is prior industrial experience.
This position will be located in Carlsbad, CA. Relocation benefits will not be offered.
Thermo Fisher is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Independently designs experimental plans, analyzes experimental data, generates laboratory protocols, and writes technical reports, quantitative analyses, and product summaries
- Troubleshoots and solves difficult problems in the design/execution of development projects
- Investigates, creates, and incorporates new methods and technologies to improve effectiveness of development workflows, including streamlining data entry and analysis for documentation purposes
- Maintains accurate lab notebook to support protection of intellectual property in accordance with relevant Thermo Fisher required standards
- Presents data at internal and external meeting and conferences
- Interacts closely with other internal departments (i.e., Marketing, Business Development, Quality, Operations and/or Technical Services)
- Complies with all company safety, training, and quality regulations
- M.S. in Molecular Biology or related field plus 3 years industrial experience, or B.S. with 5 years experience.
- Expertise in the methods and techniques of molecular biology, including nucleic acids preparation and characterization, PCR, RT-PCR, qPCR, and methods associated with next generation sequencing (NGS)
- Proficiency in data analysis, research design, troubleshooting, and the evaluation of new techniques and procedures for manufacturing reagents, systems, products or technologies
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve difficult problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret and summarize scientific results in a clear, concise and accurate manner.