The position is a member of the Cell Biology R&D team responsible for identifying and developing novel technologies for incorporation into new Thermo Fisher products, generating application data and supporting marketing initiatives. The individual will initiate, direct and execute scientific research individually and as part of cross-functional development teams to reach these goals.
The individual will work as part of the Cell Biology R&D team to support on-going projects within the Thermo Fisher product commercialization process under the Gibco brand with future growth opportunity for independent project leadership. The successful candidate will possess relevant protein purification/characterization skills for antibody and non-antibody recombinant proteins and an innovative mindset focused around these areas. Strong organizational skills will be necessary to support protein characterization needs for multiple projects. Ability to multitask and maintain a results-oriented focus is essential.
The successful candidate will have strong expertise in the purification and characterization of proteins expressed in mammalian and insect transient expression systems. Experience in viral vector downstream process development (specifically AAV and LV) and characterization is a plus. The candidate will have a strong background in protein purification by column chromatography (Affinity, IEX, NiNTA, reverse-phase, etc), depth filtration, tangential flow filtration (TFF), and related approaches. The candidate will also have the ability to characterize proteins to determine concentration, purity, aggregation, fragmentation, glycan profiles, charge variants and biological activity. Knowledge of mass spectrometry-based proteomics is a plus.
The candidate will be required to maintain accurate lab notebooks and training files in accordance with relevant Thermo Fisher required standards to support patent application and defense as well as other international standards (e.g., ISO compliance, GLP/GMP requirements, etc.).
Typical requirements will include preparing and presenting experimental data summaries and protocol writing. Perform literature searches related to products under development. Work with customers to provide R&D support on technical issues. Interact with scientists in other business units to troubleshoot problems and identify new opportunities. The successful candidate will make contributions to scientific literature and conferences and comply with all company safety regulations and procedures.
Strong background in protein purification/characterization with a Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of relevant academic or industry experience, a Master’s degree plus 1-3+ years of experience.
- Purification of intracellular, and secreted proteins from mammalian and insect cells
- Protein purification and analytical characterization by standard laboratory techniques including AKTA-FPLC, SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, SEC-HPLC, IEX-HPLC, RP-HPLC, HIC, HILIC, affinity chromatography, ELISA, ligand-binding assays, functional cell based assays.
- Viral vector purification and characterization is a plus.
- Knowledge of Mass Spectrometry-based proteomics is a plus.
- Established experience with technology transfer, particularly across sites.
- Demonstrated ability to creatively utilize existing analytical technologies for new applications
- Troubleshoot and problem solve instrumentation hardware and software related issues for FPLC and HPLCs (e.g. AKTA Pure FPLC, AKTA Avant FPLC and Vanquish UHPLC)
- Provides customer applications support for existing products.
- Demonstrated track record of completing tasks within established time lines
- Solid technical writing skills
- Excellent time management skills and multi-tasking capabilities
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret, summarize, and present scientific results in a clear, concise, accurate manner to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to generate new ideas, achieve results and solve problems.
Works in a laboratory environment. May be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties. Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials.