Salary Range: $14.00 to $18.00
Job Description Summary: Responsible for cutting metal in an efficient manner to maximize production. The Saw Operator should be able to produce accurate cuts, support weld department, and be willing to grind as necessary.
- Divide up parts, cut metal tube, plate, sheet, ect. with saw, plasma cutter or torch, read blueprints, drill holes, and deliver metal with a forklift.
- Operate equipment in a safe manner and report hazards associated with the equipment or its operators to the Facilities & Maintenance Department.
- Organize steel as it comes off delivery truck into pre-planned stacks for future cuts.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area.
- Participate in physical inventory cycle and year-end counts.
- Help in grind, weld or other duties as assigned.
Education/Skills/Physical Job Requirements
- Qualifications: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, such as safety rules, operating-maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Communication/Teamwork: Saw Operators should effectively communicate with workers, supervisors or other departments.
- Equipment: Saw Operator should be trained in forklift operations.
- Strength: Saw Operators often need to lift (up to 50 lbs.) or hold heavy pieces of metal in place while cutting.
- Basic knowledge of welding/fabrication a plus.
- Stamina: Saw Operators can expect long hours on their feet, often in hot and/or loud conditions. Saw Operators should be able to climb and work from a ladder.
- Good Vision: Keeping a steady eye on the cut as it takes form requires color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.