Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled. We value our employees and nearly 2 million volunteers around the globe that have stood with us through the years, and we will not rest until the fight is won. And that day is drawing nearer.
A part time Discovery Shop staff position supporting most aspects of daily shop operational functions in conjuction with extended weekly business hours.
Service all customers through welcome greetings, merchandise sales, cashiering, merchandise bagging and carry-out assistance to customer’s vehicle. Service all donors through receiving donations, carry-in assistance from donor’s vehicle, placing donations in designated areas, providing donation receipt and processing receipt with donation. Service all volunteers through internal operational support. Store opening and closing procedures including cash register drawer counts. and end of day income reporting. Maintain opening, ongoing and end of day appearance of salesfloor, including dressing room cleanout, dusting, vacuuming, straighening racks and fixtures, and refreshing depleted displays. Process donations, including sorting, steaming, pricing and placing merchandise on sales floor.
High school graduate or equivalent.
Retail experience working with customers, sales, cashiering and merchandising.
Demonstrates the following Discovery Shop competencies:
- Action oriented – Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Being resilient – Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
- Collaborates – Builds partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Customer focus – Builds strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Builds effective teams – Builds strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Drives results – Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
- Manages complexity – Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Persuades – Uses compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others.
Excellent communication and customer relation skills. Comfortable with multi tasking responsibilities. Team player, willing to do what is necessary to get the job done.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to focus.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather condition prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
We are committed to providing staff with fulfilling opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact in their local communities. We offer staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental and retirement benefits, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills.