Job Description: Retail Associate
Position Summary: Sells merchandise, performs cash register functions, process and stocks merchandise, accepts donations and attends to customers in a professional and courteous manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
- Adherence to the attendance and punctuality policies of Goodwill
- Exhibit excellent customer service skills as related to your position
- Exhibits a professional appearance and maintains a friendly, cheerful and courteous demeanor at all times.
- Responds to customer questions and issues in a friendly and courteous manner; contacts supervisor as needed.
- Provides efficient check-out to all customers; receives cash, credit cards etc. as payment for goods.
- Counts money to verify amounts, issues correct change, provides receipt for funds received, wraps and bags merchandise.
- Verifies cash register balances by comparing total on cash register with the amount of currency in register.
- Maintains work area in an organized manner.
- Promotes sales by setting up displays and organizing and arranging furniture and merchandise.
- Maintains merchandise on sales floor by stocking racks, counters, and displays with donated merchandise.
- Maintains cleanliness of store by cleaning shelves, counters and displays.
- Transports boxes, bins and crates to work areas; distributes items and salvage to appropriate areas; disposes of unsalable items.
- Responsible to process and price all incoming donations, including wares, books, shoes, furniture, etc.
- Maintains production levels; documents timely and accurately the number of items/bins processed.
- Reviews donations for quality; determines which items are routed to specific areas for further distribution.
- Accepts and receives donations and ensures they are recorded appropriately.
- Ensures donations area is secured at all times and protect donations from misuse.
- Operates material handling equipment.
- Attends and participates in regularly scheduled staff meetings.
- Observes behavior of customers entering operation; reports suspicious behavior to supervisor or security.
- Maintain confidentiality of all privileged information.
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of organizational practices, policies and procedures and compliance with the same.
- Knowledge of and compliance with all safety policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of visual merchandising, and sales promotion.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts including discounts, interest and percentages.
- Ability to operate a cash register.
- Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to exhibit excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to read, write and understand English.
- Ability to interact and maintain good working relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and people with disabilities.
- Ability to work extended hours and various work schedules.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate time management skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands, fingers, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; see, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and walk, and may be required to stand for eight or more hours. Work is generally performed indoors in a retail setting where the employee will have frequent contact with the public. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and lift/move up to 50lbs and may occasionally be exposed to outside weather conditions.
Minimum Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and or abilities required for the position. Individuals must be able to pass a criminal background check and drug test.
- High School Diploma/GED, preferred
- One year retail work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience, preferred.
This job description is representative of the general nature of the requirements necessary to successfully perform the essentials functions of this position. If requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an otherwise qualified individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Goodwill Industries of New Mexico reserves the right to modify or revise the duties of this job position at any time to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.