FT, Front of House, 80 hours per pay period. Courtyard Café is a full service restaurant. Courtyard Café is 70 to 99% scratch made-to-order kitchen.
Currently John Knox Village features 7 individual dining outlets spread out over the 400 acres of residential property each with a unique menu and style of service. Fireside is a cafeteria, Lakeside Grille is a quick service restaurant, Courtyard Café, Places Restaurant, and the newest, Stories Public House and Metropolitan are full service restaurants, and then there’s the Coffee Shoppe. Each outlet is at least a mix scratch restaurant. Courtyard Café, Places, Stories Pub, and Metropolitan are 70 to 99% scratch made-to-order kitchens. Lakeside has some cook-to-order and some batch cooking for the meal period. Fireside is mostly batch cooking. All kitchens utilize prep and line cooks under the tutelage and leadership of a chef. Check averages range from $6.50 at Fireside to $20.00 at Metropolitan. All outlets feature flexible hours, full- and part-time positions. All full-time positions are benefit-eligible to include up to 5 weeks of PTO for the year. Each outlet has different hours of operations, the earliest starts service at 7am and the latest closing time is 8pm, so say goodbye to getting off work at 2am from a typical restaurant. Servers working the full-service restaurant earn a higher wage than a typical server in the retail world plus earn gratuities as well.
This position performs a wide variety of duties in a restaurant, dining room and kitchen environment. These duties may include, but are not limited to: functioning as host/hostess, setting up the dining area, taking food orders, serving food and cleaning and sanitizing the dining areas. In addition, this position serves as trainer and supervisor to all current and new food service associates. Responsible for following instructions and carrying out assignments properly. Supportive of the Village’s mission, values, and service/hospitality (PRIDE) expectations. Completes training hours as required by policy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Teaches and instructs all current and new food service associates using John Knox Village training guidelines.
- Supervises and schedules staff in absence of Manager, Assistant Manager, or Kitchen Supervisor.
- Handles cashier duties, including operating cash register and balancing receipts.
- Cooks/prepares food items.
- Responsible for product ordering and inventory control.
- Ensures quality of food served meets JKV and state regulation.
- Performs serving responsibilities both on and off site.
- Handles stress well and gets along with others within the workplace and with customers outside the department.
- Maintains acceptable standards of workplace conduct.
- Adheres to all safety regulations and requirements.
The responsibilities described above represent the primary responsibilities of the job. Other responsibilities may be assigned by the supervisor as warranted by business needs. The incumbent is expected to perform all assigned responsibilities.
- This position requires the level of education typically acquired by a course of study leading to a high school diploma or GED.
- Must obtain current Jackson County Food Handler Permit or ServSafe within 15 days of start date.
- Must possess a Missouri Class E Driver’s License or be able to obtain one. (Fireside Restaurant only)
Knowledge and Skills (required unless otherwise noted):
- Ability to work with a large group of residents/customers.
- Intermediate level knowledge of cash handling and cash register operation.
- Awareness of cost control responsibilities of the position within the Department.
- Ability to work irregular hours.
- Ability to speak in simple sentences.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s.
- Ability to perform tasting and/or smelling.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but straight-forward written or oral instructions.
Special Working Conditions
- Primarily works in a kitchen and restaurant environment.
- The associate is subject to inside environmental conditions: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
- The associate is exposed to infectious diseases.
- The associate is required to function around individuals with challenged mental capacities.
- All associates may be called upon to assist other departments in a declared emergency situation.
- The Food Service Associates and Restaurant/Village Care Center Management Staff and Catering Staff and Supervisors are exposed to both extreme heat and cold with working around ovens/grills/cooktops and in freezers/coolers. These positions are also exposed to steam when handling food. They also handle sharp blades such as knives.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Max occasional lift of 55lbs from 4-64 inches; max frequent lift of 35 lbs from 0-75 inches.
- Max occasional carry of 55 lbs at self-selected height for 50 ft; max frequent carry of 25 lbs for 100 ft.
- Max occasional horizontal push/pull of 60 lbs for 50 ft; max frequent horizontal push/pull of 18 lbs (2 person of 35 lbs) for 1300 ft; maximum occasional vertical push/pull of 30 lbs from 36—72 inches.
- Frequent grip force of 45 lbs; constant grip force of 10 lbs; constant pinch force of 5 lbs
- Occasional climb of 18 inches.
- Frequent forward reach of 40 inches; occasional overhead reach of 84 inches; frequent lateral reach of 40 inches.
- Constant bend/crouch; frequent crouch/kneel; frequent neck flexion; occasional neck extension; frequent neck rotation; frequent trunk rotation.
- Frequent fine motor coordination; frequent hand coordination; constant foot coordination; constant balance; constant walking; occasional sitting.
- PDC Level: HEAVY
Reports to Restaurant Manager, Assistant Manager and/or Kitchen Supervisor.
Supervises food service staff in absence of Manager, Assistant Manager, and/or Kitchen Supervisor.
Post-offer background check and drug screen required.
Questions can be directed to [email protected]