BLT (www.bltoffice.com) is a vertically-integrated developer and operator of both multifamily and commercial properties. In the last 10 years, BLT has constructed over 4,700 apartment units including 10 buildings (3,000 units) at Harbor Point in Stamford (www.harborpt.com) where they are the master developer, 1,100 units at the Beacon in Jersey City (www.thebeaconjc.com/), 470 units in Danbury (www.abbeywoodsct.com/) and 132 units in Norwalk (www.oneglover.com). BLT currently has more than 900 units under construction in Stamford and Norwalk with a robust pipeline of future projects. In addition to their multifamily properties, BLT is the largest commercial landlord in Stamford and Norwalk, CT and has invested in, developed, owned and managed more than 25 million square feet of commercial, hotel and residential properties across 26 states. BLT is also the largest franchisee of Sotheby s residential real estate brokerage, with 28 offices and 1,000 real estate agents.
The General Manager functions as a primary business leader for large or complex assets in select geographical areas; may manage multiple assets simultaneously. The GM has full responsibility for maximizing the long-term operating performance of the assigned asset(s). Principal areas of responsibility include Leasing and Lease Renewal, Customer Service, Resident Relations, Property Maintenance and Capital Budgeting. The GM ensures residents needs are met and associates are engaged in their jobs. He/she focuses on growing revenues and maximizing the financial performance of the community to provide a return on investment to the organization. The GM manages the community team, which may include the Community Manager, Assistant Community Manager, Bookkeeper, Leasing Manager, Leasing associates, Customer Service Associates, Resident Concierges, Maintenance team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties as assigned.
- Manage the operations for a complex community. Assets will often have unique attributes that require specialized treatment.
- Works with community leadership team to execute the operations strategy in leasing, renewals, customer service, resident relations, property maintenance and capital budgeting. Continuously seeks to improve operations and ensures compliance with operating standards to ensure brand integrity.
- Sets expectations and holds the community leadership team accountable for implementing the business strategy and company initiatives throughout all aspects of operations.
- Conducts regular audits to ensure all procedures are being followed correctly and standards are being adhered to.
- Conducts physical inspections of all areas of the property to evaluate the condition relative to health, safety, risk management, asset preservation, customer service, and company standards.
- Walk make-ready product to ensure all standards are achieved as well as all units properly merchandised.
Customer Service and Resident Satisfaction
- Champions the brand philosophy and ensures alignment with brand strategy amongst the leadership team and community staff.
- Ensures services delivered by leasing and service staff meet or exceed resident expectations and create customer loyalty. Continually focuses on improving resident satisfaction and retention.
- Fosters associate commitment to providing excellent service and models desired customer service behaviors in all interactions with residents and associates. Demonstrates and communicates key drivers of resident satisfaction. Makes balanced decisions based on what is good for the customer, right for the business, and supports staff.
- Reviews resident satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement. Reviews findings with leadership team and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken. Develops systems to enable associates to understand resident satisfaction results.
- Oversees the development, recommendation, implementation and management of the annual operating budget including capital expenditures to achieve or exceed budget expectations. Ensures successful performance by increasing profitability and providing a return on investment for the organization.
- Recommends revenue-enhancing capital improvements and capital programs for expense reduction.
- Monitor performance relative to budget using the various weekly, monthly, quarterly, YTD and ad hoc reports available from the property s computer databases. Ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Anticipate and communicate significant variances from budget immediately and in accordance with company policy and standards. Refine forecast for the property as required.
- Focuses and implements actions to increase NOI relative to the respective market.
Sales and Revenue Management
- Works with the Residential Portfolio Director, Reginal Portfolio Manager, Leasing Manager and Revenue Manager to maximize LRO (revenue management system) performance.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of the community s market position using competitive shopping and other resources and adjusts operating strategy accordingly. Researches competitor strategies to identify ways to increase market share and maximize revenue.
- Provides input & supports overall leasing strategy; ensures alignment with the business strategy and proper pricing and positioning of the community in the market.
- Improves resident satisfaction as measured by stable or improved Kingsley scores, customer survey scores and an increase in renewal percentage.
- Will assist in recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and highly productive team of property management professionals. Hires service-oriented managers and associates who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and leadership.
- Creates and sustains a work environment that ensures fair and equitable treatment among associates and provides for a high level of associate engagement.
- Facilitates the growth and career development of the community leadership team and ensures that they, in turn, facilitate the growth and career development of their direct reports. Ensures that all associates develop a thorough understanding of our business.
- Provides the appropriate tools and training for the leadership team and ensures each has a thorough understanding of the environments in which he/she operates and a thorough understanding of his/her individual performance expectations.
- Focuses on stabilizing/reducing turnover relative to respective market.
- Directly supervises Community Leadership Team. Administers the supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training associates; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Varies by location, size, and complexity of community; typically, large or multiple sites located in a major urban area (New York, Boston, Washington, DC metropolitan area, Atlanta, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Seattle).
- Cumulative 7 to 9 years of business management experience which could include management tenure at Prime Real Estate, LLC.
- Previous experience in delivering improved financial performance, improved customer satisfaction, improved associate satisfaction and lower associate turnover.
- Prior experience managing front-line managers to include experience in the hospitality/service industry.
- Lease up experience preferred.
Education or Certification
- Bachelor s degree from four-year College or University; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills and Knowledge
- Demonstrates commitment to deliver outstanding customer service.
- Advanced situational judgment – ability to know what is needed to satisfy the customer.
- Takes ownership to personally resolve customer problems (or find someone who can).
- Listens well, asks clarifying questions, and checks for agreement with customers.
- Committed to following-up with customers in all instances in a timely manner.
- Strong sense of accountability – ensures that you will do what you say that you are going to do.
- Creates a personal connection with customers – smiles, warm greetings, acts friendly and respectful, listens.
- Coaches and mentors team to work together deliver outstanding customer service.
- Knowledge of governmental regulations and safety standards (OSHA, EPA, ADA, Fair Housing laws, EEO and other employment laws, etc.)
- Ability to effectively evaluate current business practices and procedures and make recommendations for changes
- Ability to creatively execute strategy and drive results; can originate and invent new ways to create a unique resident experience and maximize revenue
- Financial management skills e.g., ability to analyze P&L statements, develop operating budgets, forecasting and capital expenditure planning
- Ability to identify and evaluate business trends, determine applicability to customer profile and modify business strategies accordingly
- Knowledge of revenue management and marketing strategies
- Ability to exercise flexibility to accomplish goals
- Effective decision-making skills; can choose a course of action amongst options involving uncertainty or risk
- Strong problem-solving skills; encourages innovative solutions when appropriate
- Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
- Effective influence skills, consensus building skills
- Effective change management skills
- Strong customer and associate relations skills
- Ability to effectively manage productivity and staff strategically
- Strong leadership and team building skills
- Strong strategic planning skills
- Must be autonomous, hands-on, and proactive
- Must have a high tolerance for ambiguity and change
- Must possess unquestionable ethical standards
- Intermediate Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel skills. Literacy with the internet.
- Basic accounting and Payroll skills.
- Real Page experience, preferred.