JOB TITLE: Residential Counselor
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time
SCHEDULED HOURS: 40 hours/wk
SITE LOCATION: Enfield, CT
OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
To assist consumers in their rehab and recovery and assist consumers to live independently.
- Providing clients with necessary tools, resources and information to prepare residents for independent living.
- Monitoring client’s mental status to ensure safety.
- Ensuring a safe residential environment.
POSITION CORE COMPETENCIES:
Interpersonal Communication: Establishes positive rapport and trust with clients and co-workers; demonstrates core TAG value of Trustworthiness.
Collaboration & Teamwork: Effectively participates as a team member to advance common team goals; demonstrates core TAG value of Collaboration.
Cultural Competence, Diversity & inclusion: Effectively and respectfully works with others who have diverse traditions, beliefs, interpersonal styles, attitudes and behaviors.
Systems Oriented Practice: Functions effectively within the organizational and financial structures of CHR and other external systems in which they interact. Maintains the standards set forth by professional ethical guidelines and the code of conduct of CHR.
Quality & Performance Improvement: Works individually and within teams to improve skills and to achieve performance goals and improve outcomes; demonstrates core TAG values of Choice & Empowerment.
Informatics: Uses information technology to support and improve organizational effectiveness.
Safety Environment: Identifies, prevents and reports unsafe situations; uses appropriate procedures to assure safety environment; demonstrates core TAG value of Safety.
Screening & Assessment: Conducts brief, evidence-based and developmentally appropriate screening and conducts or arranges for more detailed assessments when indicated.
Care Planning & Care Coordination: Creates and/or implements integrated care plans, ensures access to linked services; exchanges information among clients, family members, and providers.
Intervention: Provides range of brief, focused prevention, treatment and recovery services for clients.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains physical environment and program standards to CHR, DMHAS, JCAHO and any other licensing standard
- Monitors medications of all residents in accordance with the Adult residential medication policy and procedure.
- Effectively utilizes appropriate communication methods/tools to transfer information to other staff regarding the day’s events
- Teaches and assists all residents in areas of rehab including: nutrition and healthy living, meal preparation, hygiene, laundry, banking and budgeting, and basic home care skills.
- Assists/Manages administrative functions and tasks at the direction of the supervisor
- Prepares and facilitates educational and skill building groups and one to one interventions as directed by the treatment plan.
- Collaborates and coordinate care with providers and families as needed.
- Assists residents in addressing medical and psychiatric needs.
- Maintains documentation in compliance with agency and program standards.
- Participates in staff meetings, supervision, trainings and other meetings as assigned.
- Additional duties as required.
Education: Bachelors degree
Experience: Experience working with chronic and persistent mentally ill clients in a residential group home or supported living setting preferred.
Licensure/Certification/Registration: CPR/First-Aid Certification within 6 months of hire or according to program requirements. Valid driver’s license, own vehicle and no fault insurance. Knowledge and safe practice of CT State Motor Vehicle Laws.
- Bachelors or better