GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Research Technician I will support ongoing research into the development of new therapeutics for obesity and type 2 diabetes. Work will include learning and performing microsurgeries and metabolic phenotyping in mice and rats, performing molecular biology techniques, conducting experiments according to protocols as well as developing assays, utilizing a range of techniques and equipment effectively, analyze and interpret research findings, assist with sample processing associated with surgical procedures and participate in the development of laboratory practices and procedures Contribute to general maintenance of the laboratories, and maintain accurate records via computers as well as maintenance of lab databases. This position requires occasional availability for evening and weekend animal care and treatment.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position will support research activities that include but are not limited to:
- Performs surgery in mice and rats. Examples of the surgery include various types of bariatric surgery, and cannulation
- Carries out a wide range of moderate to complex lab techniques; these may include cell culture, flow cytometry, ELISA, polymerase chain reactions (PCR), western blots, histochemistry, blood chemistry and hematology, and other assays
- Maintains precise records of work
- Works efficiently and cooperatively with a team of researchers
- Prepares written progress reports on status of research, procedures, and operations; may include statistical and narrative summaries of findings with possible conclusions. May prepare materials for Projects PIs for use in publications; may collaborate with supervisor in writing and editing material for publication; may appear secondary author on publications.
- Performs general laboratory duties including maintaining and ordering supplies, maintaining inventory databases, preparing solutions and inventory per lab safety protocols.
- Synthesizes and interprets information (from graphs, charts, experimental data, etc) and provides to the PI in order to develop new investigative techniques and/or to determine the most appropriate direction of research. Effectively uses computer programs as well as performs data entry into databases.
- Prepares stocks of necessary reagents and maintains lab supplies. Conducts supply inventories. May place purchase orders for supplies under the direction of the PI and/or lab manager.
- Notifies and seeks assistance from senior lab personnel or supervisor regarding questions, unusual experimental conditions/results or needed training.
- Participates in the upkeep of the lab, keeping both direct and general work spaces clean and tidy; helps to maintain an overall safe and clean environment.
- Attends and may make presentations at lab meetings and journal clubs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Experience with working with laboratory animals is preferred.
- Understanding and application of scientific research principals. Knowledge of basic science research and applicable field(s) of science, such as biology and chemistry.
- Must be self-motivated, able to work independently and as a team player. Able to learn new techniques, procedures and equipment. Orient and assist lab personnel, students and fellows as needed.
- Analytical skills and ability to resolve technical problems.
- Organizational skills include good record-keeping, maintenance of laboratory research notebooks, and good time-management skills.
- Verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate scientific and technical.
- Information and to orient and instruct others.
- Ability to work carefully, accurately and consistent with instruction or protocol.
- Must be able to work safely and properly use protective equipment.
- Is knowledgeable and compliant in all hospital, State and Federal regulatory requirements, including hospital policy and procedures (where applicable to the performance of the job), Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
Bachelor’s degree required in biological, physical, or veterinary sciences.
Prior laboratory research experience is preferred
Primary Location MA-Boston-MGH 15 Parkman
Work Locations MGH 15 Parkman 15 Parkman Avenue Boston 02114
Organization Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
Standard Hours 40
Shift Day Job
Employee Status Regular
Recruiting Department MGH Surgery
Job Posting May 19, 2020