MPHI is a Michigan-based and nationally engaged, non-profit public health institute. We are a team of teams, process and content experts, dedicated to building A world where tomorrow is healthier than today!
Title: Research Assistant – CHEP
$15.00 – $17.00 / Part Time (20 hrs. wk.) / Posted thru 2-11-21
Employee Name: TBD
Supervisor: J. DaSha Stockton
Purpose: This position provides administrative/project support for research, evaluation, and technical assistance projects related to public health and health equity within the Center for Health Equity Practice (CHEP) at MPHI. MPHI helps those who work in public health and related fields understand health equity, social justice, and the social determinants of health so they can work together to reduce the likelihood that people are disadvantaged because of their race, class, or gender. Projects within the CHEP speak directly to issues of poverty, inequality, and the social systems that contribute to them.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordination of survey distribution, data collection, data entry, and data verification across multiple projects.
- Provides support for the drafting of project reports, coordination of meetings and trainings, and assists in administrative duties for assigned projects.
- Supports documentation and communication tasks such as mailings, emails to committees/workgroups, etc. as needed.
- Support data collection activities such as conducting standardized or in-depth interviews, managing online surveys, assisting with focus groups, and collecting data in the field.
- Enter primary data into appropriate databases (e.g., Excel, REDCap, or SPSS), verifies for accuracy, formats and inputs data to develop tables and graphs.
- Prepare and organize survey mailings, process receipt of complete questionnaires, verifies and enters data as needed.
- Test survey instruments, document issues, and retest as needed;
- Under the direction of the Senior Research and Evaluation Specialist, conduct basic data analysis using analysis software.
- Aids in researching literature and information-based sources.
- Input, edit, and proofread reports, correspondence, charts, graphs, and other documents using word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Supports senior staff in the identification and solicitation of grant funding for additional project and program work.
- Maintain a positive, strong, credible, professional and interpersonal relationship with all parties relevant of MPHI projects and represent the best interest of MPHI at all times.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education: Possession of a bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Public Policy, or another related field.
Experience: Minimum 1-year experience working in a professional office setting required.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Knowledge of survey research or program evaluation preferred.
- Experience developing surveys and conducting data entry desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong client/customer orientation.
- Able to work well in team situations.
- Self-motivated, able to complete work in timely manner, and handle multiple tasks at one time with minimal supervision.
- Experience working in telecommuting workspace.
- Require proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (particularly in Word, Excel, and Access) and with email/internet browser software.
- Basic working skills in SPSS desired.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements: Job may require moderate physical effort including lifting materials and equipment of <25# and involves viewing a CRT or VDT screen 25% to 75% of the time. Standard office environment, working remotely through COVID. May require valid vehicle operator’s license where needed to perform duties of the position.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS: No assigned responsibility.
IMPACT ON PROJECTS, SERVICES AND OPERATIONS: The Research Assistant has a strong impact on the efficiency and integrity of the research and analysis conducted on projects to which he/she is assigned. The Research Assistant is critical to the timely and efficient operation of a data-intensive team.
Contact Person/Group Frequency Purpose
Supervisor Daily Supervision
Project Leader Daily Coordinates project work
Research Staff Daily Project work
Clients As needed Project work
External project partners As needed Project work
“For purposes of employment standards, this classification is “Non-Exempt” from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.”
MPHI works with you to promote health for everyone. Together, we will build a world where tomorrow is healthier than today!
MPHI is an EEO/AA employer that participates with e-verify.