BOROUGH OF CHAMBERSBURG
CLASSIFICATION: Regular Part Time Front Counter Reception Clerk
GRADE: NB 06
RATES OF PAY: $17.75 per hour
PLACE OF WORK: Borough Hall, 100 S. Second Street
HOURS OF WORK: Generally 12:30 PM – 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday
Generally 20 – 25 hours per week
TYPE OF WORK:
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Welcomes visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone: answering incoming calls on a multi-line telephone system and referring inquires. Maintains employee/department directories and directs visitors to appropriate departments. Maintains security by following procedures and issuing visitor badges. Signs and emails delivery receipts to appropriate departments, and directs all deliveries. Sorts incoming mail.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
A Front Counter Reception Clerk performs a wide variety of clerical tasks, calling for a knowledge of customer service practices. The work is performed in accordance with a prescribed routine. Complex, new or unusual problems encountered are normally decided by supervisor who checks work in progress and/or upon completion.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (illustrative only)
- Usually fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
- Answers a multi-line telephone system, takes and relays messages, and announces caller when required
- Greets visitors, issues visitor identification, and provides directions, doing so in a pleasant and courteous manner
- Utilizes Borough software systems to provide information based upon customers’ inquires
- Signs, directs placement of deliveries and emails appropriate department of received deliveries
- Sorts all incoming mail by department, for delivery
- Maintain available inventory of, sell, and process parking permits
- Prepares daily record of parking tickets received
- Prepares packets of refuse tags
- Completes faulty parking meter reports
- Sorts and processes utility and other bills
- Opens night depository envelopes and processes check payments
- After processing all check payments in the mail and at the counter; makes a final total of checks, and stubs, and completes counter receipts
- Verifies accuracy of bill counts and processes utility bulk mailings
- Files invoices by numerical order and sorts work orders by account numbers
- Runs total of all checks received the previous day for deposits
- Prepare invoices and receipts for departments’ deposits
- Processes past due notices for collection procedures
- Completes and performs related tasks concerning utility operations and other reports and records
- Files ambulance and accounts receivable reports, and miscellaneous items
- Assist front counter, stuffing notices and miscellaneous items in envelopes to be mailed
- Types forms and performs other typing tasks
- Performs a wide variety of related general clerical tasks
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment requiring constant multi-tasking, including accurately directing telephone and visitor traffic amidst environmental distractions. Ability to communicate effectively with the public. Some knowledge of modern clerical-accounting practices used in keeping automated fiscal accounts and records; good knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment and of business arithmetic and English; ability to use a computer, modern office software, including Microsoft Word and Excel, and a call routing system; ability to type at a reasonable rate of speed; ability to understand and follow oral and written directions; ability to write legibly; ability to get along well others; clerical aptitude; mental alertness; good physical condition.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Some customer service/cashiering/front counter experience, and completion of a standard high school curriculum, preferably some experience in operating call routing, point of sale, and billing/licensing software packages; or any equivalent combination of experience and training, which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
METHOD OF SELECTION:
- Employees working for the Borough of Chambersburg will be considered first;
- Must not have had any disciplinary action (written or suspension) in file during preceding two years;
- If a Borough employee does not fill the position, outside persons (including extra part time Borough employees) will be considered in accordance with the Borough's Equal Employment Opportunity Policy and a preference for qualified Borough residents and non-users of tobacco products.
This description is the present overview of the job, is subject to change by the employer and is to be used as a temporary management guide to performance.