We are looking for a hard working, conscientious, team focused individual to provide an essential service to our community in our Public Works Solid Waste Division.
This is a full time permanent position, we offer full health benefits, sick and vacation leave, stable employment in a small organization with opportunities to learn multiple skills. Refer to the Benefit tab for more information on benefits offered to our employees.
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with medical certification required at the time of hire.
- One (1) year truck driving and equipment operation experience with problem solving and customer service duties.
- Salary placement dependent on experience (DOE)- career advancement available with the required skills, knowledge & abilities.
- ?Entry Level Range I- $21.47- $26.38 hourly (DOE)
- Experienced Level Range II- $25.13 – $30.89 hourly (DOE)
- Open until filled, applicant screening will be ongoing until filled.
- Follow the application process located at the bottom of this posting.
- See full position description link below
- For assistance, contact Human Resources at 360-279-4518.
- compliance with all health and environmental regulations;
- timely collection of solid waste, recyclables and yard waste;
- prompt response to requests for service;
- promotion of waste reduction and recycling;
- long-term capital planning; and stable rates
Collectors will need good eye-hand coordination to operate robotic controls to operate fully automated refuse collection trucks and related heavy equipment in the collection of refuse, recycling and yard waste along a designated route operating heavy automated side loading refuse vehicles. The Solid Waste Collector I classification is intended to recognize training and skill development needed in specialized system functions as well as knowledge and skills for special projects or work in other divisions. Duties are performed under training and close supervision until proficiency is demonstrated.
Full Position Description for Solid Waste Collector
City of Oak Harbor information (Download PDF reader)
About Living on Whidbey Island
Work is performed outdoors under dirty, uncomfortable, noisy and hazardous conditions, and in all types of weather conditions. Duties require good eye-hand coordination to operate robotic controls, and the ability and stamina to perform heavy manual physical labor, move items weighing in excess of 50 pounds on a repetitive basis, as well as the ability to crawl, climb, bend, twist, stoop, kneel, and to maintain such activities throughout a work shift. Work may involve exposure to hazardous chemicals or bloodborne pathogens, and requires appropriate safety precautions. Work also involves equipment operation in residential and commercial areas as well as in heavy traffic. Weekend, holiday and after-hours work is often required, as well as after-hours response and emergencies.
To help us understand why you would be the best fit for this position, please provide:
- Past 5-10 years of work history with a description of your duties.
- Any additional information to assist with considering you for the position.
- Three (3) professional references, including one reference from a supervisor.
If you do not meet the basic required qualifications or if you do not fully complete the application, you may be contacted to provide additional information. Please review the job description and posting carefully for full details on job duties and requirements.
For assistance to apply for this position, please contact Human Resources at 360-279-4518, you are welcome to schedule an appointment to visit Human Resources to use a computer workstation. In addition, we recommend contact with Worksource Whidbey or the resources available through Sno-Isle Library