GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
UNIVERSAL CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Advocate for Continual Improvement- empowering each other to identify opportunities for excellence.
- Collaborate with Mutual Accountability- working together with a willingness to take ownership and account for our actions.
- Champion Service- anticipating needs and create a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Perseverance- commitment to excellence even in the face of adversity or delay in achieving success.
- Lead- regardless of title, through positive influence.
- Supports and maintains security systems.
- Facilitates management of maintenance contracts on cameras and related security equipment.
- Contact and dispatch public safety officers via radio and telephone communications to campus areas.
- Monitor and respond to radio traffic from all campus and Hotel operations.
- Dispatch routine and emergency requests for service.
- Perform dispatch and office duties in support of public safety operations.
- Receive various public safety related information by telephone, radio, and/or other sources.
- Contact and coordinate with emergency services as needed (Police, Fire, Ambulance, Emergency Management).
- Provide information to students, staff, visitors, and community partners.
- Monitor the 400 + security cameras and access control system on a routine and emergency basis and dispatch public safety officers when problems are observed.
- Monitor social media for communications and other items of concern.
- Monitor weather & road conditions.
- Send out emergency notifications (Kirkwood Alerts), as directed, in emergency situations.
- Answer questions and dispatch public safety officers for requests for service outside of normal business hours.
- Assist visitors, students, faculty and staff at customer service window during operating hours.
- Assist with vehicle fleet and key operations.
- Serve as the emergency response link for all areas and departments of the college.
- Perform other related work duties as assigned.
- Able to remain calm and make critical decisions in high stress situations.
- Able to represent the College in a positive manner.
- Assume responsibility; deal effectively with problems, and exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with students, colleagues, staff, general public and exterior agencies.
- Read, understand and express oneself clearly and effectively in both written and oral form.
- Attention to detail and an ability to multitask in completing complex tasks with accuracy.
- High level of skill in the application of collaborative, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and accurately in an atmosphere with frequent interruptions.
- Maintain a high degree of flexibility.
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Thorough knowledge of Kirkwood policies and procedures with the ability to understand and interpret clearly and accurately.
- Possess a high degree of attention to safety and well-being of students, faculty, staff, and the general public.
- Possess proficient computer and radio skills.
- Welcome, value, and nurture people of all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, as well as support and promote an environment that accepts differences and diverse personalities.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential job duties/responsibilities and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED with two years’ work related experience or an equivalent combination of education and military and/or security experience.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to write reports.
- Proficient in using computer programs and other department technology.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- CPR & First Aid certified within 6 months of employment.
- Blood Borne Pathogens training with 6 months.
- Mental Health First Aid training within 6 months.
- Ability to renew or add licenses or certifications when required.
- Possess and retain a valid driver’s license.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Prior dispatching experience and/or prior public safety experience.
- Special interest in public safety communications or criminal justice.
- 2-year degree in related field.
- Experience in higher education such as college campus or other educational facility.
- Currently possess CPR, First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens and/or Mental Health First Aid certifications.